1. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Fire at Sea

2. msmichel's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Gianfranco Rosi, in this Golden Bear winning documentary, casts an eye on the influx of refugees risking death in travelling across the Mediterranean from Africa to Europe by focusing on a tiny island well south of Sicily. Rosi wisely doesn't just focus on the travails of the migrants but also on some select natives of the island, even those not directly affected by the other strand. Rosi has no 'lazy eye' here.

3. Quesera,sera's rating of the film Fire at Sea

couldn't find the integration between samuel story and the refugees.. but the shot was nice. this is a life-capture-kinda-movie in general I suppose

4. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Fire at Sea

This is my idea of the ideal documentary.

5. Daishi's rating of the film Fire at Sea

I cannot understand what this film try to covey to us. Doc films should have intention.

6. Fabiha's rating of the film Fire at Sea

A powerful portrayal of the migrant crisis

7. Emile Tremblay's rating of the film Fire at Sea

8. Rūta Švedkauskaitė's rating of the film Fire at Sea

The documentary film made by accident. And you can feel it.

9. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Fire at Sea

If "Du Levande" director Roy Andersson ever directed a documentary about the European immigration crisis, THIS would definitely be it. And by this I mean that it would be beautiful to look at, pretty weird, laconic and poetic, and also something I was not over my head interested in spending two hours with. It's pretty amazing and very boring at the same time.

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Fire at Sea

11. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Rosi's eye is as lazy and shut as his (fictional?) view on the habitants of Lampedusa towards the migrant crisis. By only pointing out the compliance of silence he becomes one as well by not addressing nothing about its subject. Worst of all: relying on cheap shock value, no less effective than a news spot, towards the end of this doc.

12. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Fire at Sea

13. -REM-'s rating of the film Fire at Sea

14. Dries's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Allegoria i miei coglioni , non si capisce come un film del genere possa aver vinto un qualsivoglia premio che non fosse'' peggior film italiano''. La scena del bacio alla statuetta di padre pio è il massimo...non do 1 perchè samuele mi ha fatto tenerezza, c'avrà 10 anni e parla da terrone navigato :(

15. Caitlin's rating of the film Fire at Sea

This could have been a 5 star film but, in focusing so much on the island's inhabitants, the stories of the migrants and refugees get lost. I understand that Rosi was trying to show how life goes on even though a human catastrophe is taking place nearby, but I wanted to hear more stories of the refugees. We need art that humanizes a group of people increasingly being dehumanized in the media and politics.

16. Joel's rating of the film Fire at Sea

I'm surprised to find I differ so much with many of the reviews for this film here. I was at first uncertain of the film's angle, but slowly grew grateful for it's quiet perspective on a potentially challenging subject matter. We hear so many WORDS about refugees, but there was great dignity in it's silent perspective. I felt the mix of story was a reminder of how peace and war often co-exist in our world today.

17. Knickerson's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Felt like footage from two documentaries glued together. The saving grace was the director captured some intriguing footage such as the Nigerian migrant recounting his journey and scenes with boys shooting cacti or the dinner scene.

18. Rafael Fonseca's rating of the film Fire at Sea

A surprise: It markets as a documentary on the refugee crisis but suddenly you're sitting there and watching the life and adventures of a sixth grader native. Herein lies the gambit: There is fire at sea but there is also everything else. Fuocoammare presents the migrant crisis with a zoom and a step back: a holistic look at what is essentially an ecosystem disruption. While the coast guard is rescuing boats [cont.]

19. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Fire at Sea

This film is worst than boring, is offensive. Rosi created two separated narratives, for showing the alienated condition of lampedusa's people to refugees situation. But worst than that, he think (through the allegory of lazy eye kid situation) is work is the true redemption. It's so prepotent forcing narrative to is own private view, that is why you only have corps instead of testimony of that people suffering.

20. Balthaz21's rating of the film Fire at Sea

21. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Although lacking a position on its subject, this doc features non stop beauty from its imagery: it really captures two opposites sharing the same space - immigrants and locals: but what else do they really share? In my perspective, it showcases a big hit on contemporary crisis: what do we do with our local demands? Poetic, strong and very touching.

22. J0NS's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Maybe one of the Italian movie most hypocritical, boring and fake of the last 15 years.

23. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Beautifully shot documentary on the refugee crisis in Lampedusa. The film essentialy shows two separate worlds, that of the refugee and that of the Lampedusan population, which only marginally intersect. But the calm and at times tedious everydayness of life in Lampedusa is merely set up to contrast the horrors that go on at sea...

24. Marta Donati's rating of the film Fire at Sea

Extremely allegorical at points, it still manages to record the tragedy of migration. On the other hand, the camera follows the life of a Lampedusan family, shown to be perfectly unaware of the very tragedy that the film often reminds us of. This is perfectly expressed through the metaphor of the boy's 'lazy eye'. The film shows how documentary can be a peculiar, personal, inspiring form of film-making.