1. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Masterpiece on human nature in its extremes. The photography is sublime (with great expressionist shots).

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Une splendide photographie noir et blanc pour un sujet hautement dramatique et qui dévoile une (infime) partie de l'horreur de la guerre du Pacifique... www.cinefiches.com

3. Ethan's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

This is an intense and powerful film that showcases the true horrors of war, especially the end result that it can have on one's physical and mental health. The cinematography here is absolutely brilliant too.

4. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Not sure if this is a war film or a zombie movie ? Jaw-dropping cinematography from Setsuo Kobayashi for this absurde and distressing classic. Maybe Beckettian would be a good adjective. Ichikawa gives no real rythm, no hero for sure, he breaks many rules to give a sincere, very unsatisfaying master piece. You almost physically want to watch somewhere else. There is nothing sexy about the war !

5. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

6. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

the greatest zombie movie of all time

7. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Kalau ada Nakadai, film ini bisa lebih hebat lagi...

8. Livor's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Outstanding treatment of light and black and white.

9. Jake.Durston's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

"I won't forget your kindness as long as I live."

10. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

I see and love a lot of horror movies. But this film will give me nightmares. Some individual scenes - the sick crawling out of a firebombed hospital; a procession of soldiers nonchalantly accepting enemy fire - frame a narrative meant to destroy the barriers between insects and humans, the dead and the living. This makes it not a traditional purgatory or hell, but something infinitely more frightening.

11. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Incredible cinematography. Radical delirium.

12. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

13. paxy's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

14. José Neves's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Cinematography bySetsuo Kobayashi.

15. dinoage's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Men unwilling to accept death even to the point of cannibalism.

16. Shelley's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

An incredibly disturbing portrait of Japanese soldiers during WWII. What makes it powerful is the bluntness with which Ichikawa presents the darkest secrets of soldiers living in fear and trying to just merely "survive". "Fires on the Plain" is a story of survival, of agony, and insanity. Definitely a must-see for any Japanese cinema fans. I plan to see "The Burmese Harp" soon to compare the two.

17. joey Noodles's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Harrowing, powerful, disturbing, unpleasant, brutally honest, frank and very disturbing, this is a brilliant study of how war affects people. Some truly horrifying sequences are portrayed and the cinematography is stunning. A masterwork, one of the better war films ever made.

18. Algitya's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Honestly i gave it 4 and a half. Masterpiecely crafted, and well adaptative for today audience but i still prefer 'The Burmese Harp' .. :)

19. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

20. Howard Orr's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

I like this a lot more than "The Burmese Harp". Too much singing in that one. Worth watching in a gut-churning matinee with Eastwood's "Letters From Iwo Jima".

21. apexa's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

This film was unsettling for some reason. I watched this after 'The Burmese Harp' and such a contrast. One was quite soothing and inviting while this felt uncomfortable and exhausting in a way that didn't appeal to me.

22. HobartLazaro's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

23. Nancarrow's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

Could not take this film serious with that ridiculous main actor.

24. Lee Bullitt's rating of the film Fires on the Plain

This movie was definitely something that I had to get into, as the more time that passed the more intriguing the circumstances surrounding Private Tamura became. There were some pretty epic shots here, definitely not to be ignored. Unfortunately, compared to some of the war focused films I have seen, this was not particularly impressive. It didn't captivate me, really. Even when Tamura made terribly immoral choices.