1. FISCHER's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

Oeuvre plutôt mineure dans la vaste et précieuse filmographie de Kenji Mizoguchi. www.cinefiches.com

2. exoskeleton's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

3. Harrywolf Krstl's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

4. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

3,5 No word's stranger to Mizoguchi’s world here than “estrangement”. So strange, that women kill to wipe it & wind up in a paradox, causing the ultimate estrangement of him whose distance became unacceptable. No help from act-object ambiguity; the upshot of an action follows actual action, one cannot die incessantly, engaging singly in the process w/out achieving the fractally postponed, denied, fallout tranquility.

5. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

Leaving a showing of this classic, I heard someone say: "There's enough plot here for five films!"

6. chanandre's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

[Cinémathèque PT #554: 35 mm] (2007)

7. joey Noodles's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

One of my favourite Mizoguchi films so far, a really visually amazing film that encapsulates everything in the last scene. Like every Mizoguchi, it is staged like a play and shot in an effortless fashion. It is clearly an autobiographical work, I will show the beauty of all woman clearly serving as a metaphor for Mizoguchi himself. And beside that we have a great story and performances from Bando and Tanaka.

8. Pedro Novaes's rating of the film Utamaro and His Five Women

Freda Freiberg's article on "Utamaro": http://archive.sensesofcinema.com/contents/cteq/03/25/utamaro.html