1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Oh, Verhoeven in the 80's. This is a movie that did not stand the test of time very well. Something about the rape victim enjoying the rape, and then raping him back. A lot of sex in this one. Of course Rutger and Leigh would team up again in 'The Hitcher' with much worse results.

2. Renton47's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Verhoeven seems good at convincing us the flaws of his films are other's faults - here Hauer and studios for pushing the martyrdom and romance. He excels at the slapstick circus of horrors which give this its bent viewpoint, but it fails when not in the mud, when crafting Da Vincian ladders, valorising Hauer. And he shows too much, uncomfortable sex that can't get a read on Leigh's agency. 2.5

3. Rocco's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Typical 1980s medieval adventure film stuff. There's a transgressive edge that is pure Verhoeven, but overall it's pretty generic.

4. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Entertaining but there is a layer of Misanthropy running through it.

5. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

There is nothing quite like the brutal glee and beauty of Verhoeven's early films. This one almost feels like the TRUE Disney movie, with the added sex, subjugation and debauchery. Tongue in cheek to the max and with ambivalent characters, who are forced to play all the bases in the brutal and random hell we call the Middle Ages. Loads of catholic symbolisms and ex machinas throughout the movie. Quite stimulating!

6. Zach Closs's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

How the hell didn't I know Verhoeven had an 80's medieval action film in his filmography?! With Rutger Hauer?! This was in my eBay cart minutes after I discovered it. His trademark debauchery is on full, energetic, excessive display -- but we're never removed from it or ignorant to its consequences. Paul's movies are all about rubbing our noses in the perverted shit we're ashamed to admit we enjoy. "Guilty pleasure."

7. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

CINEMA _ Verhoeven being Verhoeven. Breaking the rules, so ironic that it flirts at times with parody. The jokes are hard to swallow, you hear the anger, you feel the tension behind the action-hollywood-costume-you-name-it. It is all about dynamite : exploding the cliches, exposing the sentimentality. Another film about rape (somehow). Where a girl has to chose between sex and ideal (flesh and blood). Sex = weapon.

8. Tibulle85's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

(Vu en Blu-ray) Même s'il n'est pas le chef-d’œuvre annoncé par certains, ce film n'en reste pas moins intéressant pour les amateurs de Verhoeven. Film de transition entre ses carrières hollandaise et américaine, ce tournage a été l'un de ses plus difficiles. Il s'est notamment brouillé à cette occasion avec son acteur jusque-là fétiche, Rutger Hauer (qui semble souvent perdu ici, dans un rôle trop grand pour lui).

9. Maxime Bracquemart's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

P. Verhoven réalise ici un film moyenâgeux très respectable avec de grands et beaux enjeux, des personnages complexes mais intéressants, ambigus mais très attachants.

10. film_lies101's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

All I can say is that I was entertained

11. Knut Morte's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

It's like Macbeth mixed with Othello and then it's own thing, humorous and fantasied, lacking blank verse/iambic pentameter...

12. Marc G.'s rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Lots of flesh, lots of blood.

13. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Nobody does it like Verhoeven. And that Rutger.. he could rape me anytime.

14. Tigrão's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

An irreverent and over-the-top vision of Medieval times, Flesh+Blood can be watched as a 15th century version of The Wild Bunch, where Verhoeven paints a ridiculously chaotic and implausible portrait of a group of pure scumbags, rapists and drunkards, and somewhat along the way manages to make them likeable. Add to it Jennifer Jason Leigh as the archetypal fair maiden and you got yourself a weird little gem.

15. Bibi Lamy's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

mmhhh quanto mi é piaciuto !!!!!!!!!!

16. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Gotta love Verhoeven's deromanticization of the Middle Ages. This film is dirty, bloody, violent and darkly humorous in the way Verhoeven is so adept at.

17. Greg S.'s rating of the film Flesh + Blood

This is probably the closest Verhoeven's come to directing a full blown comedy, at times it almost felt like a Monty Pythonish or if Ken Russell mad an action movie.The film goes to such grotesque lengths to show the liberties taken by noblemen and yet portrays it in a way that's light hearted and maybe even nostalgic. I wished the film was rerealsed today, being a stunning contrast to shit like Gladiator. Must see.

18. Sean's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Really liked Rutger Hauer in this, but he plays a character you aren't supposed to like but you end up liking him anyways, it's Rutger, how can you not like him? Jennifer Jason Leigh is dead sexy. Verhoeven does a nice job in directing but its the story that kinda lacks any kind of substance.

19. Easton Dubois's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Nobody does sleaze like Verhoeven.

20. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

21. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

Verhoeven's first English-language film is also one of his best. It turns the medieval epic on its head with its raucous energy, graphic sex and violence, and offbeat dark humor, while also managing a deep undercurrent of moral complexity and deftly-crafted tension - headlined by fiery performances by Rutger Hauer and a young Jennifer Jason Leigh, as well as a scene-stealing supporting cast. An extraordinary film.

22. Sequelcast's rating of the film Flesh + Blood

More thoughtful than a lot of epic medieval flicks.

23. REH1101's rating of the film Flesh + Blood