1. FISCHER's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

Humour et légèreté dans cette courte comédie qui se regarde avec délectation... www.cinefiches.com

2. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

For such a bitter man who by all accounts was entirely lacking a sense of humor, Naruse was an expert director of comedies. Of course, this is a comedy about failure and poverty that ends with a kid getting hit by a train... but great fun, full of inspired gags and surreal moments.

3. kit duckworth's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

eerie near miss. insurance salesman's care for another child in place of his own recalls nannies, wet nurses, other women who have done the same for rich children. poverty horror couched in uneasy comedy

4. TK BUCKLEY's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

Loved this intro to the Naruse universe. The great dichotomy of comedy and drama and the experimental sequences used appropriately. Does really have a very charming quality about it that comes from the range of emotions.

5. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

Some Chaplin-worthy business here. And Naruse's already on about his pet themes (namely, how brutal getting along in this life can be), though the ending is very unlike him, in that it doesn't take its chance to be utterly devastating.

6. joey Noodles's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

I was really surprised at how fantastic this film was. I was really very moved. It starts comedic and light then just hits you across the face with some superb dramatic elements. It ain't Naruse's best film, no way, but it's really much better than I supposed it would be. 4/5

7. Daniela's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

Lots of gags, surprisingly serious ending o.o;;

8. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

Simple, charming, and touching, this early Naruse starts off funny but turns emotional and ends with a great use of montage.

9. a Smith's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

I, too, was about to make a comment on the editing here. Does anyone know who is responsible for said editing, and whether that person continued to experiment?

10. Francisco's rating of the film Flunky, Work Hard!

The Eclipse release is only 28 minutes long, but it's still very good. I'm mildly surprised by the hint of experimental editing techniques.