1. SpacePirate's rating of the film Flying Leathernecks

Honestly? This was a huge letdown. I love Wayne, Ryan, and Ray, so was expecting at least a really solid war pic. Nope, this one relies too much on stock footage which is very obvious and too much on action in general with a paper thin plot and character development. One of the worst of Ray's films I have seen (start elsewhere, like Johnny Guitar), still not entirely awful. 2 stars

2. Dalibor's rating of the film Flying Leathernecks

Combining the film with old camera footage makes it look a lot more amateurish than stylish. Plot, on the other hand, is way too action-filled to present any believable drama, but over-dramatic when it does to be considered a watchable action movie.

3. Andrei Rus's rating of the film Flying Leathernecks

John Wayne is more emotionally involved with Robert Ryan than he seems to be with his wife, in the aviation army of World War II. The fact that such a film could be made in the 50s in Hollywood, with big stars and a big budget, is only one proof of how subversive some part of the American cinema could be. I think this film is really good and it deserves to be reconsidered, like a lot of other films from its era.