1. le Gars's rating of the film Foolish Wives

2. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Foolish Wives

4,5 - From this movie, everything: Fassbinder, Visconti, 'til Frears' Liasion dangereuses. Maybe Sternberg and Kubrick's glacial symmetry too. Simply the morbid purity of a masterpiece.

3. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Foolish Wives

More than expected from this kind of movie. Is it possible that Princess Olga starred in Maddin's movies 70 years later?

4. panagiotatos's rating of the film Foolish Wives

7,5/10 very expensive production of that era, some exciting panoramic scenes of staged Monte Carlo, but i found that the characters lack in depth and the plot was not intense enough.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Foolish Wives

Une oeuvre essentielle, malheureusement mutilée (la version originale dure environ six heures 24) qui laisse un souvenir inoubliable, avec un éblouissant Erich von Stroheim, sublime dans son extraordinaire interprétation d'une malfaisante canaille, libidineux à souhait, d'un cynisme et d'une abjection redoutables. www.cinefiches.com

6. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Foolish Wives

7. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Foolish Wives

Cynicism and nastiness only go so far with me, I get bored of it. The Stroheim project seems one of delighting in horrifying housewives ("Oh, that awful man!"). Which sort of thing is not really aiming very high artistically, is it? Yet it's hard to argue with filmmaking this good. And the film is funny in its ironic, mean-spirited way. The snippet from the novel Foolish Wives by one Erich von Stroheim is priceless.

8. ZYNAB's rating of the film Foolish Wives

this film has a SATANIC ENERGY coursing through it that intoxicates the viewer and it just feels like one of the most decadent pleasures in the world to be watching these people sin in a decaying mansion by the riviera before your eyes…one of the first silents i saw and it is a Favorite Forever

9. Stevie's rating of the film Foolish Wives

The set is lavish on an epic scale yet remains intimate to enable us to appreciate the characters existing within the story. Maude George, Mae Busch and Von Stroheim himself, are fantastic as the crooks masquerading as members of the Russian nobility.

10. Sin título.'s rating of the film Foolish Wives

Determinada desde el inicio por la búsqueda sin sentido de la libertad para poder satisfacer el deseo y a la vez encontrar la nobleza en lo ajeno. Filmada en una era donde ser libre, blanco y mayor de edad era la mejor esperanza de vida que alguien podría tener. Ingenua.

11. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Foolish Wives

En su versión de 145', presentado como un 50% de su extensión original, "Esposas frívolas" asoma escenas que tal vez sean necesarias, pero que no dejan de otorgarle a la película un ritmo que se siente alargado. Von Stroheim relata una historia que cruza la comedia sofisticada, el romance y el drama. Dos personajes a valorar: el hombre "descortés" y la sirvienta enamorada.

12. andraberila's rating of the film Foolish Wives

Wonderful silent film. The landscape shots are very beautiful and quite painting-like, although it's black and white. And the story is well written, I loved the details of expressions and gestures. A must see.

13. db's rating of the film Foolish Wives

An impressive piece of early film making. While impossible for a modern viewer -- myself, anyway -- to genuinely connect with either the characters or the narrative, the wealth of memorable sequences and images make this one I'd like to revisit.

14. Karthik's rating of the film Foolish Wives

The early scene in Foolish Wives is a real marvel. It is so packed with incident, has so many shifting foci of attention (emblematic of the narrative’s multiplicity: Karamzin, Monte Carlo, marriage, nature vs Monte Carlo, appearance and reality: is there a center?) – Karamzin, the maid, the setting, the sea, the Petchnikoffs, the counterfeiter, the breakfast – is so hard to take in at once that (contd in comment)

15. raggiodisole's rating of the film Foolish Wives

a bit on the long side, but it had it all. A villainous cad, a gullible wife, deceit, treachery, drama, suspense, burning building, a casino. what more could you want. Not hard to like.

16. nein's rating of the film Foolish Wives

It's not as engaging as I'd hoped it to be, but there is some things that amaze me. It's obviously long and a little bit slow-paced but not boring at all. And then, actors aren't so expressive as they usually are in silent movies. Stroheim films their subtle and natural gestures and even without big help of subtitles gives a good impression of what's going on there. Great experience, even in spite of a silly plot.

17. msmichel's rating of the film Foolish Wives

Overlong but never boring third film from Von Stroheim. A trio of Russian shysters posing as nobility in Monte Carlo pick an American couple as their next cover/conquest with disastrous results. Von Stroheim's performance as Count Karamzin is quite affecting as is his visual sense as a filmmaker well captured here by dp(s) Daniels and Reynolds. An interesting curio.

18. Cole Caudle's rating of the film Foolish Wives

It's the acting in Stroheim's films which really impresses me. He captures these subtle and intimate gestures and exchanges between his characters. It totally dispels the erroneous idea that somehow silent film acting was over the top.

19. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film Foolish Wives

Has anyone ever been as drunk on cinema as Stroheim here? Daring in so many ways, this was almost certainly a profound masterpiece in its original form, but the "skeleton" that remains begs a bit of research and a dose of imagination in order to conjure that vision. Plenty of great filmmaking is intact, but the film as it exists now defies full appreciation under casual viewing.

20. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film Foolish Wives

There's some really fantastic filmmaking here. That's what I love about the silents, such a wide ground for brewing up these very dreamy and deep worlds in ways that even the best (and most illusory) CGI still cannot compare to this day. It's a disgrace von Stroheim's films suffered butchery the way they had, as we my have maintained a greater degree of appreciation for such rich, sprawling pieces to this day.

21. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Foolish Wives

22. Scott Barley's rating of the film Foolish Wives

Unexpectedly dull and a little too doltish at times.

23. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Foolish Wives

While the production value is great & the story is intriguing, the pacing of this movie ruined the experience for me. While I know it wasn't Stroheim's fault, it made the movie hard to watch.

24. Mitchell Brown's rating of the film Foolish Wives

A high point in silent film production. Magnificent production values, an intelligent, adult script. I always recommend this as a good introduction silent cinema.