1. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

2. Rennovatio's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

3. Andrés Lechuga's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Muy buen trabajo; sumamente interesante el apego de creencias y su variedad de las mismas. Sobre la versión en MUBI, hicieron falta subtitulos en cualquiera de los idiomas de español o inglés.

4. Manon's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

cruda belleza si bien al principio uno por hábito quiere entender lo dicho la inteligencia de las imágenes y sonidos hablan su propio idioma terrible y sublime

5. Zac Weber's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Imagine being plucked out of thin air and then transported to a place where one can experience all of life's prism in a single day. The lack of narration lends the film a distance that feels respectful rather than indifferent, and the incredible sound design immerses the viewer in the cacophony of bells and rituals and unfamiliar languages.

6. m00njaguar's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

A forest of images, a forest of moments tumbling past. The sacred river and time, the holy city and the industry of death in India. The camera as passive witness in a place so ancient & alien to most Westerners. Slowly the viewer begins to piece together the activities of this place, to notice its rhythms, how it all flows together. Ugly and harsh details at times. A slow, interesting non-narrative visual exploration

7. luisquintais@gmail.com's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Forest of bliss is an amazing statement about death, suffering and the sacred.

8. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Shot in a documentarian style with a hand-held DV camera - it reminded me a bit of Bing's Tie Xi Qu. Immersive and with a submissive sound design - definitely worth seeing. 3.5

9. Jane de Deus's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Watch it when you are feeling world-weary or very early in the morning when you have time to sit and watch and drink coffee leisurely. Your heart might flutter.

10. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Whenever I get in touch with India's bubble culture, it strikes my western mind. Especially when presented in a solid and yet beautiful ethnographic work such as this. The flowers, river, wood, the ladders, boats and death, all tied up in a solely religion purposes economy. 4,5

11. mpho3's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

“It is apparent that only a certain kind of person will want to make ethnographic films. It will, above all, be those who sense the profound affinity that exists between the film medium and a desire to understand people.” -Robert Gardner

12. Aurora's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

It is exciting to find this on Mubi, as multiple viewings only enhance understanding of the multiple rhythms, motifs, and quirks of this film.

13. dialupmodem's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

loves it, its old and new its life and death its the mortal existence and an afterlife

14. Sin título.'s rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Precisa en cada momento, desde la primera imagen se embarca al espectador en un proceso empático con la finalidad de sumergirlo en la textura del momento, aquí es donde los sonidos que rodean la grabación se vuelven ese manto que envuelve la experiencia, tanto que al poco tiempo el espectador se olvida que está frente a una pantalla negra.

15. Ludovica Drusi's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

I smell the river, the flowers and the last breaths. A movie that makes you come back there if you've been before. Powerful and magical.

16. kampton's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

17. Theosaurus Rex's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

A mesmerizing, voyeuristic dose of paralytic intrigue. Stunning cinematography, and edited in a poetic narrative that paints the soul of this corner of the world in a brutally honest and humanistic perspective.

18. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Gardner uses the camera as neutral observer documenting the everyday reality. In spite of the difficulty to mask his alien viewpoint with the pretence of objectivity and authenticity the movie has very stunning moments - especially when it captures aspects of the special soundscapes.

19. Nicholas Kohut's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

This film is Robert Gardner's masterpiece. It breaks through the confines of visual anthropology and becomes an immersive experience of a day in the life along the Ganges. The viewer is swept away by an impeccable presentation of the life and death cycle in Indian culture. Evidence of an expert at work, the pace of the narrative elegantly connects Varanasi's circadian labors to the celebration of the closing of life.

20. Weston Campbell's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

A fine job of capturing a unique and fascinating way of life.

21. paul oram's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

When I visited Benares in the 90s I was very conscious that through the act of photography we 'collect' places to the detriment of simply experiencing them. At the burning Ghat, I respectively put my camera away, stopped 'collecting' and simply experienced. It's something I have never forgotten. This film perfectly reflects that sense of wonder, serenity, spiritually - whatever you want to call it - that I felt.

22. Narayan Hariharan's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Very disappointing. The canvas available is so much and disheartening to see it lost. It approaches a serious subject of death and liberation more from a home video perspective. Explanatory commentary may have added value to the uninitiated. .

23. Knopfloch's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

Highly surreal – yet so real.

24. Pál's rating of the film Forest of Bliss

At first I felt uncomfortable about not having subtitles, but then it helped to establish an observer position. The movie is well-paced and concentrated; we were following their all-day struggle against flesh, dead or alive. I couldn't guess what's the rattling for: to subdue other sounds, like that of the dogs, maybe?