1. Richard Tines's rating of the film From Hell

I hear Alan Moore despises all movie adaptations of his work, and here is a case study in just why that may be....the Hughes brothers (the pair behind the excellent "Menace II Society") take Moore's novel length exploration of the Whitechapel murders and turn it into a vehicle for Depp (an actor with ups and downs) to act dark and brooding...really guys, waiting for the "Jerusalem" (Moore's novel) miniseries...

2. CafeGradiva's rating of the film From Hell

2 / The beautiful gros-plan scenes with Johnny Depp on opium are, no doubt, quotes from "Once Upon a Time in America", with Robert de Niro; those scenes of Sergio Leone are so iconic, so unforgettable, that they deserve to be quoted, now and ever after. Ian Holm is very good as absolute evil, and so is the end of the film. But... gosh! Too much blood on walls. Why is that?

3. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film From Hell

Top quality atmosphere and strong cinematography makes this one of the glossiest "Jack the Ripper" films, but I would have loved seen Robbie in the lead actually as he looks more like the character from the graphic novel. The laughable casting of Heather Graham as a nice prostitute destroys the film with her unconvincing accent and good looks. Depp should have done the role - now that would have been risky casting.

4. Renton47's rating of the film From Hell

Not so much a massacre of adaptation, but certainly a massacre of cinema. Plodding & ugly, but never in the ways it should be; the material is unpleasant with a point, emphasis on the daily bleakness of 19th century street life. Instead we get Gotham City CGI shots, romance and prophecies. The Hughes use all the tricks, which often belies a grasp on the material.

5. camille's rating of the film From Hell

6. .:BuNNii:.'s rating of the film From Hell

My problem with this movie was it was too slow with not much of a payoff.

7. THE APOLL0's rating of the film From Hell

I could see why British people may not like this film. Pretty harsh on the Monarchy.

8. J. O.'s rating of the film From Hell

A star for some truly beautiful moments with lavish set pieces and interesting camera work. Otherwise, it is a cheap, slapdash affair with no wholly enjoyable elements. Skimped on the violence and lasciviousness, underutilized its best talents, and had a severely under-written story. Watchable, but by no means good - painful, too, considering it had so much potential.

9. Zach Closs's rating of the film From Hell

"Close-ups of Guys with Long Hair & Frilly Shirts - The Movie." Easily one of the most boring films I have ever seen. There is absolutely no reason to care for anyone, the ripoff Tim Burton cinematography was forced and ugly... I struggle to think of one positive thing about it.

10. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film From Hell

11. gloryofistanbul's rating of the film From Hell

Enjoyable movie, could and should have been more gorier considering the visciousness of Jack the ripper

12. Frankster85's rating of the film From Hell