1. Bilouaustria's rating of the film From the East

CINEMA, 16mm _ This makes you want to discuss over again the question of length. But there is no shortcut for it and that is the best way to document something. Of course it can be boring to some. Especially if you grew up with bad TV habits. But this is educational and essential for the way you look at things. And the long trademark traveling shots reminded me of those made in NYC 16 years earlier. Magic.

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film From the East

A rigorous look at a post-Cold War world. I love the way Chantal Akerman blurs the line between reality and fiction, perhaps reflecting the state of mind that people were in at this time, allowing for her subjects to look directly into the camera and wave. Simultaneously, this acts as a critique on contemporary docs and embraces the "artifice". Brilliant!

3. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film From the East

this collection of silent static long shots with no comments, is unwatchable nowadays

4. LauraPalmer's rating of the film From the East

this is a cinematic experience. the cinematograpy is overwhelming.

5. Landen Celano's rating of the film From the East

Does not adhere to space or time.

6. David R Williams's rating of the film From the East

Reminded me of Buffalo, New York in the 70s - a city in a perpetual state of collapse held together by the sheer force of will - and bullheadedness - of its citizens. An almost anti-travelogue. You really wouldn't want to visit would you?

7. ihor's rating of the film From the East

The grayness of post-Soviet society and perception of otherness looking at peoples living distinctly human lives yet lives often distinctly distorted from the perceived "normality" of advanced Western existence is channeled in Akerman's quasi documentary. Rarely, if at all, does she show a smile or a bright picturesque landscape. A failed empire and it's people waiting with uncertainty for what comes next.

8. Erik F.'s rating of the film From the East

Captures a general atmosphere of uncertainty and melancholia, but it's hardly a "sublime masterpiece" (MUBI's words). Lots of tracking shots of miserable-looking people in miserable-looking locations, if that sort of thing strikes you as insightful.

9. David Richards's rating of the film From the East

A bit long, and a bit repetitive. I do appreciate films that give the viewer the leisure and freedom to explore an image without being jerked from one thing to another by manipulative camera work or fast editing. However, this strategy works best when the viewer is given interesting things to look at. I did like the landscapes and cityscapes and views inside the living spaces of ordinary people.

10. El Biffo's rating of the film From the East

I kept hoping the bus would come.

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film From the East

(1/2 star) Nope. Not for me. I'll leave Akerman to others. I'm only annoyed at the time wasted. Moving on.

12. Diderot's rating of the film From the East

Documentary as mobile portrait of landscapes and faces, taking very seriously (perhaps too seriously) Godard's notion that tracking shots are a question of morality.

13. Noli Manaig's rating of the film From the East

Literally a tracking shot of the early days after the tearing down of the Iron Curtain. A documentary without words, with some moments presumably staged. Faces look long. Little sign of euphoria. A few faces may have a hint of a self-conscious smile, but overall, the feeling is that of wariness of the probing camera. An old reflex? Like a Foucaldian optic, the lens has the effect of a panoptic eye.

14. dr0nestar's rating of the film From the East

such wonderful tracking shots. Perhaps a bible for Harvard's sensory ethnography lab

15. Nadin's rating of the film From the East

Really good film. My first Akerman film and I loved it. I see many parallels to the films of Béla Tarr. More thoughts on my blog: http://is.gd/p3HZEY

16. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film From the East

Les « laissés-pour-compte » de l'Europe.

17. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film From the East

A common critique I've seen lobbed at structuralist films is that in their quest for a sublime equation of form and content they end up overly neat and thus inert (or "gimmicky" if you wanna be a jerk about it). But D'Est… is sublime…

18. lucia.vhp@gmail.com's rating of the film From the East

19. TheCentralRuhr's rating of the film From the East

Beautifully evocative with a clear respect for its locations and temporality - unlike so many other "let's capture this moment for history" documentaries. D'Est manages to simultaneously reflect with sincerity and subtle awareness on globalization and the ephemerality of culture.

20. Stevie's rating of the film From the East

The tracking shots...unbelievably haunting. I love the sense created by Akerman of the Russians waiting, unsure of what their future now holds following the collapse of the Soviet Union. I'd love to make this kind of film myself.

21. nadka's rating of the film From the East

22. missquady's rating of the film From the East

so annoying i cannot watch anything i want! arhghgh

23. Scott Barley's rating of the film From the East

This film reaffirms my view that Akerman and Tarr's praxis encompass each other; in sensibility, rhythm, and humanity.

24. Jonathan Miller's rating of the film From the East

above it says "no audio" but that is not correct. There are ambient sounds throughout the film.