1. Samuel T.'s rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

re-watch. Weird watching a Bergman film in German, doesn't feel right. Nonetheless a delight to re-visit. Love the low-budget television aesthetics, and Nykvist works magic (as always)

2. bulgrin's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

WTF. This is Bergman? A German tv production, with some very ideas in shooting, cutting and directing. A movie which wasn't meant for the big screen. Dark, gripping, atmospheric and underrated. A definite contemplation about human relations and interactions.

3. Korial's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

What motivates the homicide at the beginning? Bergman serves us a series of episodes from which we have to draw evidence and assemble our conclusions, our interpretation. Though, at the same time, the finale appears to define a truth as well. That, coupled with characters' elusiveness, generates ambiguity and stimulate the viewer to define the meaning of the whole story: one of the principles of cinema.

4. lou.'s rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

I didn't see this movie before! How could it be possible so far? Well, I can only say it's another real lesser-known gem, a not-to-missed piece of work regarding human psyché.

5. mubianer's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

35mm. I had to remind myself several times while watching this that it was not a Fassbinder film. Not only the German language, but the prostitute, the gay character (I was, maybe without a good reason, surprised to see a gay man in a Bergman film), the mirror sequence and the cold West-German atmosphere. 3.5

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

Everybody here is thinking way too much. They talk themselves into holes from which there is no escape. It's as if this couple has been married 100 years and the level of contempt they have for each other is frightening.

7. Erik F.'s rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

One of Bergman's most unsettling and penetrating films.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

Des êtres tourmentés par leurs souffrances psychiques, du Bergman quoi ! www.cinefiches.com

9. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

10. ermete polpette's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

11. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

12. jkristianl's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

good fable on modern medicine

13. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

14. postblueink's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

15. Ethan's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

The spiritual sequel to Scenes from a Marriage is a very interesting and intimate portrait of a crumbling marriage.

16. Blumes's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

The disco song was such a treat.

17. María F. Guerrero's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

This was so, but so good. You know, that first scene with the murder. Damn. And the super deep study of the psyche, the disturbing talk about his homicidal dreams, the people who surround him and just everything, man.

18. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

The indulgent & psychosexual Bergmanian monologue. Nothing in life, of course, is as "deep" or layered. For some reason or another Bergman's couples remind me of my youth. Maybe because I watched his movies so much then. Maybe because I was so anxious & depressed. I don't think love is as convoluted, not anymore. Maybe there is only contentment. Love like this is a fiction, angst, reaction against capitalism.

19. teresa romã's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

Só depois de nos matarmos é que nos conseguimos controlar.

20. Tara Newton's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

"Certain powers drive me that I can't control."

21. La quinta luna's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

22. Nuno Barros's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

Em From the Life of the Marionettes, dominam as pulsões psíquicas mais essenciais, Eros e Thanatos, e o modo como estas forças da criação e do caos convivem para além da moral. Bergman expõe o casamento como o lugar da verdade, onde, dominados até à demência, nos tornamos marionetas dos nossos desejos e medos. Excelentes interpretações e uma das melhores cenas de toda a filmografia de Bergman: o sonho de Peter.

23. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes

Un gran film psicologico di Bergman. I personaggi vivono in una sorta di limbo nichilista e psicoanalitico,ma il bello dell'intera vicenda è che questo inconscio viene via via espresso,raccontato ed interpretato.Il tutto in una regia(ovviamente)magistrale e delle interpretazioni volutamente teatrali ma superbe. Il pazzesco è che era un prodotto destinato alla televisione(come Il Rito). Altri tempi. 4*

24. SILIP's rating of the film From the Life of the Marionettes