1. Feng Ling's rating of the film From the Other Side

too much akerman the slowness ceased to be cool anymore

2. Ryan Swen's rating of the film From the Other Side

Gentle smiles can't conceal indescribable melancholy.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film From the Other Side

This one just didn't do it for me. If anything it was too ordinary, too mainstream. Like an episode of VICE. Overall this lacks the power of "SUD", "No Home Movie" and "D’Est".

4. Slappy McGee's rating of the film From the Other Side

(2.5 stars) Better than other Akerman docs I've seen. She still has those long takes that really add nothing for me and are, quite simply, boring. I don't consider just pointing and camera and letting it roll, quality filmmaking. But, that's just my take on it. She just isn't a filmmaker that I've been able to appreciate really. Ah wells... (I'll keep trying).

5. Mister No's rating of the film From the Other Side

6. Ben Dooley's rating of the film From the Other Side

A meditative poem-documentary on illegal immigration from Mexico into Arizona. Akerman's long, slow takes situate the viewer intimately within the 'other side' (i.e. Mexico), talking with those affected and those supportive. A night-time ride out with immigration enforcement adds drama with gun-sight shots reminiscent of Wikileaks’ ‘Collateral Damage’. Intriguing, thoughtful stuff.

7. Stevie's rating of the film From the Other Side

Filmed in part in Akerman's usual distinctive style and in part with interviews, it helps us to appreciate the seriousness of the issue of illegal immigration in the US. Some of the images are very haunting and Akerman gives a pretty balanced outlook by taking into account both sides of the argument. 8/10.