1. Tiburcio Rivera's rating of the film From What is Before

Obra maestra. Con actuaciones epicas y fotografia formidable, a pesar de su duracion te atrae como si fuera un iman y no te suelta hasta el final, y en mi caso eso fue algo bueno, ya que me mantuvo interesado y entretenido de principio a fin. Tambien la ambientacion e historia son bastante buenas, y el ritmo me parecio apropiado, no me resulto ni violentamente rapido ni absurdamente lento. Notable pelicula.

2. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film From What is Before

3. FISCHER's rating of the film From What is Before

Comme des graminées éparses au vent mauvais ou ces tableaux pointillistes au dévoilement progressif, Lav Diaz nous montre une réalité faussement surnaturelle qui cache et occulte de gênantes vérités qui sont adroitement dissimulées, comme la vraie nature de cette fallacieuse vendeuse ambulante, qui fouille discrètement les habitations, en réalité un officier féminin de l'armée, camouflé. www.cinefiches.com

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film From What is Before

Interesting and rare mixture of beauty and desolation, realism and mysticism, peace and violence. Epic in length; sleepy - almost dreamy atmosphere combined with static camera angles of intriguing choices, for example the tilted horizon line, which rarely works just as well as it does here. While I respect and admire work put into this film, the story didn't engage me emotionally, perhaps I missed something...

5. Scott's rating of the film From What is Before

The gothic atmosphere and slow, deliberate pacing is hypnotic. Emerging at the other end of this gargantuan movie is like returning home from a sojourn to a place that's frightening in its superstition, and heartbreaking in its futility. A masterpiece.

6. captainfez's rating of the film From What is Before

The Ramones wrote the same song every time and they were excellent. You'll note there's no Lav Ramone.

7. Slappy McGee's rating of the film From What is Before

Another long form film by Diaz. Almost six hours. Ugh. Same old story. Same old problems with length. Same old extremely long takes. Beautiful at times, but long and needless. Tough to take film after film. Not a fan.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film From What is Before

Look, there are some good scenes here and there, but no standard narrative film needs to be over five and a half hours long. It just isn't necessary. Yet Lav Diaz is constantly lauded for his tiresome testing of audiences.

9. frankarditi's rating of the film From What is Before

wonderful film. definitely worth going further then 30 minutes. but sorry, is it the real final version? picture looks not calibrated (different temperatures of B/W), some cuts are weird, and most of all, though the work on sounds has some nice ideas, the sound itself has some major technical problems (not talking about distortions) and I don't get what they would bring to the movie. did I just missed the point?

10. Shazad's rating of the film From What is Before

The most important filmmaker in the world right now. This film is the nearest thing to living through a civil war. The beauty and horror and the passage of time are captured with extreme patience (in black and white).

11. goulton green's rating of the film From What is Before

"Before defining art - or any concept - we must answer a far broader question: What's the meaning of man's life on Earth? Maybe we are here to enhance ourselves spiritually. If our life tends to this spiritual enrichment then art is a means to get there." Andrei Tarkovsky

12. Robert Rudio's rating of the film From What is Before

Coming from the Philippines, the fact that Mula sa Kung Ano ang Noon is almost impossible to watch is preposterous. Thankfully, Mubi has allowed me to witness one of the most haunting films ever made (and in that list of mine, is Norte, another Diaz masterpiece). Its slow, methodical pace, allows for an extreme form of immersion that only Diaz's films can create.

13. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film From What is Before

Lav Diaz doing what he does best, filming humanist scripture by way of the Philippines' battered heart.

14. Maribou's rating of the film From What is Before

Arse-numbing elegy of rural life's brutality & the onset of martial law in the Philippines. Religion & superstition sustain the villagers but the evil acts mount up. Composed with meditative, static shots that root the story-telling in the landscape. Palm fronds & rocky outcrops sweat in gorgeous B&W photography. Rain pours down continually. A stunning evocation of place. Beautiful, powerful & tragic

15. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film From What is Before

Watched this on my own in a gallery, sitting on a pile of giant beanbags with a flask of coffee and some sandwiches. What an experience.

16. Soizic Izzi's rating of the film From What is Before

Etrange voyage, film envoûtant.

17. noice's rating of the film From What is Before

Diaz proves once again that he is the greatest director since Tarkovsky

18. Ludovic72's rating of the film From What is Before

Les longs plans fixes de Lav Diaz ont une force immersive et empathique rarement atteinte, quand on fait l'effort de les regarder avec attention.

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film From What is Before

20. paxy's rating of the film From What is Before

21. grotescsetorg's rating of the film From What is Before

22. mpho3's rating of the film From What is Before

Variety's Justin Chang calls Diaz "a poet-historian of longform cinema [who] seeks not merely to relay a series of events but to draw us into a fully inhabited world." Diaz succeeds, but only viewers who can withstand the arduous journey will share that feeling. The haunting beauty will shepherd some along; others, as in the Parable of Sower, will fall along the path or wither away long before the end. 4.5 stars

23. mgaspa's rating of the film From What is Before

This film is for sure "entertainment". I like its long scenes, the sounds of the forest, te speaking of these people mixing native english and spanish language. Tstory gets step by step and is a sort of provocation to remain at seeing. We are not used. Very nice, well better said very motivating film.

24. B Star's rating of the film From What is Before