1. Kevin You's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Contemporary adaptations of classics should always have this vitality

2. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

3. msmichel's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Matsumoto's film is an unsung LGBT classic mixing aspects of experimental film with counter culture, documentary and drag culture. Even with its over the top grand guignol finish (with a self aware irreverence) this impresses. Recently rediscovered and making the re-release rounds this year. Fascinating, sexy and beautiful.

4. EdieEmm's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

More linear/narrative than I was expecting... A gorgeous (4K restoration on the big screen!), playful, feverishly intertextual, queer 60s genre mash-up, that's part clever documentary & part 3-wall avant-garde theatre. Recursion, inversion, distortion, disruption, as the great inescapable levellers; as our fate! We're *all* Oedipus/Electra; all (ahem)'wounds' & 'blades'. Subversive, confrontational, iconoclastic fun.

5. Barrett.'s rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Watching this at 2am with a headache felt like I was having an amazing fever dream. Toshio Matsumoto passed away recently, RIP.

6. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

The contrast between the frailty of male sexuality and heteronormativity in a backdrop filled with blood, texture and noise. Praise this movie!

7. Jason's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES is almost like an eastern variation on the films that made Dušan Makavejev famous during the same period. It similarly has the quality of a portmanteau: a trifecta of approaches to countercultural cinema, weaved rather than bundled. Here we have: 1) a quasi-documentary about the performance of queer identity; 2) paradigm smashing drop-out freak-out; 3) cryptomythic mind-fuck. Yes, please!

8. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

"All definitions of cinema have been erased. All doors are open now. Menas Jokas -- slap in the face". Oh man I love japanese new wave films. This is pure freedom with great originality.

9. dordai_robert's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

10. K_Tarr's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

"The spirit of an individual reaches its own absolute through incessant negation." As incredible as the final minutes were, it couldn't salvage the rest of the film.

11. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

While not quite as good as 'The Man Who Left His Will on Film', which was made the next year, there are many similarities. It definitely got bogged down in some of the sequences and didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

12. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

I would have really wanted to like it more. Maybe I was expecting too much.

13. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

14. Histioteuthis's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

So good!!! I don't know if it did influence A Clockwork Orange because unlike the few Kubrick movies I've seen I actually was awake

15. Vincent T's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

16. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

17. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Toshio Matsumoto is a fuckin genius !!

18. Levent Güçer's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

19. cevausername's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

20. Leti's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

A grotesque,humorous and an undeniably unique movie.

21. Post Ironic's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Iconoclastic, self-referential, meta-cinema... sexual empowerment, ideological warfare, gender discourse... Exploring the relationship between sexual and political radicalism. Matsumoto's use of visual distortion in that are-bure-boke (rough, blurred, out-of-focus) manner of '60s Japan is incredibly compelling as a tool for subversion of dominant social order and attacking conventional modes of filmic representation.

22. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

The story depicts the life of a tormented drag queen but is nonetheless a joy to watch. The director uses every tool in the new wave book to draw your attention and excels with his great plot and cinematography.

23. ry h's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

What better way to explore the overlapping ambiguities of "reality" and "performance", of "political" and "personal", than by chronicling the lives of trans women. Striking is how non-exploitative the whole thing is. Unlike Warhol - who Matsumoto is occasionally indebted to - "Funeral Paradise of Roses" humanizes its subjects, rather than painting them as fascinating objects of study - a notable feat even today.

24. POURAZAR's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses