1. O...'s rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

2. Matthew Almont's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

A masterpiece of the Japanese New Wave and queer avant-garde cinema as a whole. Influenced by the French New Wave and influenced Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. This documentary/fiction hybrid plays with time, structure, gender, movement, and cinema itself. Gorgeously shot and filmed. As a time capsule of the Sixties in Japan, the movie is a valuable historical document. But as a work of art it is timeless.

3. José Neves's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

4k restoration, rewatched. Indie Lisboa # 7. The joy of a toy: cinema.

4. Daniella Hervert's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

5. epiphany_moment2000's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

6. MisterColo93's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

7. Renton47's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Although it rips an ending from the pages of tragedy which (perhaps) undermines the empowerment, Funeral is above all else playful. Play in the Haraway sense, the great boundary-tester of where I end and you begin and seeing if we can't blur that line. It's phenomenon as psychedelia as politics! And consider the navel gazing that passes for radicalism in 69's Easy Rider. This is the counter culture we need.

8. rulesofachia's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Saw the 4K restoration at ACMI. Really funny and disturbing. Features some of the most AESTHETIC drag queens you'll ever see! *-*

9. Kevin You's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Contemporary adaptations of classics should always have this vitality

10. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

11. msmichel's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Matsumoto's film is an unsung LGBT classic mixing aspects of experimental film with counter culture, documentary and drag culture. Even with its over the top grand guignol finish (with a self aware irreverence) this impresses. Recently rediscovered and making the re-release rounds this year. Fascinating, sexy and beautiful.

12. EdieEmm's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

More linear/narrative than I was expecting... A gorgeous (4K restoration on the big screen!), playful, feverishly intertextual, queer 60s genre mash-up, that's part clever documentary & part 3-wall avant-garde theatre. Recursion, inversion, distortion, disruption, as the great inescapable levellers; as our fate! We're *all* Oedipus/Electra; all (ahem)'wounds' & 'blades'. Subversive, confrontational, iconoclastic fun.

13. Barrett.'s rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

Watching this at 2am with a headache felt like I was having an amazing fever dream. Toshio Matsumoto passed away recently, RIP.

14. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

The contrast between the frailty of male sexuality and heteronormativity in a backdrop filled with blood, texture and noise. Praise this movie!

15. Jason's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES is almost like an eastern variation on the films that made Dušan Makavejev famous during the same period. It similarly has the quality of a portmanteau: a trifecta of approaches to countercultural cinema, weaved rather than bundled. Here we have: 1) a quasi-documentary about the performance of queer identity; 2) paradigm smashing drop-out freak-out; 3) cryptomythic mind-fuck. Yes, please!

16. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

"All definitions of cinema have been erased. All doors are open now. Menas Jokas -- slap in the face". Oh man I love japanese new wave films. This is pure freedom with great originality.

17. dordairobert's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

18. K_Tarr's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

"The spirit of an individual reaches its own absolute through incessant negation." As incredible as the final minutes were, it couldn't salvage the rest of the film.

19. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

While not quite as good as 'The Man Who Left His Will on Film', which was made the next year, there are many similarities. It definitely got bogged down in some of the sequences and didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

20. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

I would have really wanted to like it more. Maybe I was expecting too much.

21. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

22. Maudealan's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses

So good!!! I don't know if it did influence A Clockwork Orange because unlike the few Kubrick movies I've seen I actually was awake

23. Vincent T's rating of the film Funeral Parade of Roses