1. Rory Boothe's rating of the film Further Beyond

Smart and transformative, one of the best docs I can remember seeing.

2. David R Williams's rating of the film Further Beyond

"An aptly titled work in every sense, this sui generis piece is by turns an essay film in the tradition of Chris Marker (San Soleil) and Patrick Keiller (London), a documentary, and a quirky drama about loss and exile." - Leslie Felperin Essential viewing.

3. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Further Beyond

There is something wonderfully natural and honest in how this film is written and told. Scene to scene, the role that the voice actors take, filling the position of the two directors, welcomes the viewer far more into the film. More into the story that they could create with the general biopic. Capturing the introspection of the figure of Ambrose and paralleling his journeying to another family tale only adds to it.

4. crystal meff's rating of the film Further Beyond

"the fog becomes the object it had hoped to obscure",

5. dkodeski's rating of the film Further Beyond

This is the sort of documentary I've grown to love. Quirky. Highly personal. Self-referential. A documentary about documentaries and history and memory and that sense of place you carry with you when you - by choice or by circumstance - leave your homeland.

6. Mark Neustadt's rating of the film Further Beyond

Trying for profundity on the nature of narrative, but left me unmoved.

7. Kevin's rating of the film Further Beyond

Shades of Peter Greenaway around the time of “A Zed and Two Noughts.” Many people will not finish it, while others, including me, keep turning it off to make it last longer.

8. Poldi Binder's rating of the film Further Beyond

A great movie - really a meta-movie about making a biopic. Visually stunning with wonderful narration. Highly recommend it.

9. m00njaguar's rating of the film Further Beyond

What a wonderful film. Actually, a documentary that is not a documentary, but many other things. It is ostensibly a documentary about the process for making a bio-pic, but it is at the same time a very self-aware meta-narrative, looking at self-identity, transformation, human will, dreams & desires. It is set in the present, the life of a filmmaker's dead mother & 250 years ago. Beautiful to look at, landscape aware.

10. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Further Beyond

Appropriately took me time to settle. Made peace with never truly landing. It reminded me of 'A Cock and Bull Story', but far less obnoxiously smug, far more generous in spirit. I kept thinking that Alan Howley sounded like Mark Cousins though, which I found inexplicably funny.

11. tealeaves's rating of the film Further Beyond

Found it weirdly absorbing. You can somehow create other films in your mind, using the stories and images it gives you.

12. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film Further Beyond

A rewarding, painfully patient structuralist meditation.

13. Elena's rating of the film Further Beyond

Fascinating - it quietly draws you in and doesn't let go. The only film where the historian Carlo Ginzburg is quoted, I imagine. The quotes could, should feel contrived and pretentious, but somehow they don't. A gem.

14. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Further Beyond

This film was one of the nicest films I've watched on mubi recently. I really liked the in-between comments of the narrators.

15. captainfez's rating of the film Further Beyond

Voiceover Work Can Be A Drag: The Movie.

16. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Further Beyond

Very original approach, what a beauty!

17. Suzy Adderley's rating of the film Further Beyond

The kind of film I really like. A slow burner that leaves open spaces for contemplation and imagination. An empty sort of film. The narrative devices somehow work along with the confusions as to what is real and what is not.

18. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Further Beyond

Movie about planning of making a movie? Rather about being home. Told from very original perspective. And the idea behind role played by Gillen! Just waiting for someone going to the cinema to see him

19. Tony Bastow's rating of the film Further Beyond

Compelling 'notes' to a yet-to-be-made documentary about travel and the search for identity. A film that will linger in your mind.

20. Kerem Sadi Ekiz's rating of the film Further Beyond

21. henk@loftmatic.com's rating of the film Further Beyond

Final score: 8. Storyline: 9, Originality: 10, Cinematography: 10, Involvement: 7, Sound: 7, Editing: 8, Educational: 8, Title design: 7, Acting: 8, Interesting: 10, Unusual: 10, Exciting: 7, Superior: 7

22. mark read's rating of the film Further Beyond

Drew me in... made me think... and dream... liked it... a good way to tell a story, thanks to those who made it.

23. Trois's rating of the film Further Beyond

Hauntingly beautiful and surprising by turns, this fascinating documentary draws on Barthes and Walter Benjamin to explore the incredible histories of Ambrose O'Higgins and Helen who might be the mother of one of the film makers. Sounds serious; it is is serious in purpose and wryly funny at the same time. Watch it.

24. hgmz's rating of the film Further Beyond

Very clever film. It plays very well with different layers of filmmaking; the process, the subject. The contrast between on-screen voice over, reconstitution, place as they are nowadays deserve what is fascinating about the Ambrosio and Helen lifes.