1. 2multo's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

This film caught me when I needed a slap in the face to stop my whining about how original film is dead. "Gabi on the Roof in July" is alive on so many levels: story, difficult yet necessary relationships, life imitating art or vice versa, and keeping it all together of course--the artifice of "true" art. My left cheek is still a bit red.

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Hard to talk about because of how repugnant almost all the characters are, perfectly channeling 79% of white hipster NYC, giving them a well-deserved lambasting, but with little joy in it for us. Which puts it in Cassavetes territory. In Mike Leigh’s films you can feel the characters’ backstories in your bones. Not here, or in JC. I was looking for people I know to turn up in the credits, that’s how spot on it was.

3. Cat Mai's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

The characters were the epitome of the kind of people that you'd normally hate. But somehow it was tolerable since they were equally and uniformly hateable.

4. Pablo Zarra's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Something here and there, but not much

5. cloberg's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

6. G.'s rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Entertaining juvenilia.

7. Lydia.H's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Gabi on the Roof in July is a depiction of a life no one should aspire to have. It illuminates the cause and effect in ones life when they lack a job, morals, and respect for themselves. This movie becomes almost disturbing to watch at many points and the audience can not feel bad for any of the characters because they brought every situation on themselves. There is also no conclusion or lesson taught.

8. David R Williams's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Mumble core. Yeah. It’s a thing. I hate these people. I don’t wanna spend a second with any of them.

9. De La Ghetto's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

The movie was set in New York City. There were no black or brown people of in it. This is not a criticism. The movie paints an accurate picture of the lives of a certain kind of people. Watching this movie, it was like watching a foreign film and noticing all the little peculiarities of a culture. And I grew up in New York. So that was interesting.

10. Ken's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Gabi is probably one of the worst characters ever committed to screen. I was hoping at any moment that a No-Wave film crew would break in and "Funny Games" the whole cast and crew. The only way I ended up enjoying this film was viewing it as a parody of mumblecore.

11. Paul Page's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Levine’s near-clinical observation of a set of unmoored semi-adults is withering, and the detachment disarming as the banalities, rationalizations and self-deceptions that pass for communication pile up. This the most Rohmer-like of the American indies I have seen. There's little moral high ground to be found here, however, and no character seems willing to look for it. Outstanding cinematography, superb acting.

12. Christopher Jason Bell's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Ah, mumblecore. Again you bring out the very worst in pretentious characters. Some fun moments here at least. But - damn - I would not want to spend a SECOND hanging around any of these horrible people. Just the worst. And watching them go through their machinations is, while intriguing at times, utterly painful. It really goes nowhere and is only a passing of time with these truly despicable characters.

14. blues2r's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Quirky and searching characters. I always like this style of indie film.

15. Loz Loory's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

2.5 Was better the first time I saw it, as I was closer to grad school age. Now the characters feel somewhat tiresomely adrift. Foreshadows the "Girls" TV series. Fortunately, Lena Dunham's cameo is very small here. The brother-sister plot is well-handled as both try to navigate their new "adult" relationship. They struggle to show their love via control, guilt, anger, and finally acceptance.

16. David Perez's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Just try to make it through the trailer. Jesus. Negative infinity stars. It's as if a group of entitled Silverlake "adults" spent their inheritance to film an improv session gone awry.

17. Tim R.'s rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Exploratory, astute... who IS this "Carolee"?

18. David Richards's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Though I attended art school in the late 70s, this all seems very familiar: the attitudes, the sarcasm, the art blab. This film is very funny at times, and yet the real emotions manage to leak and finally gush through the fragile veneer of irony. Good performances, good film!

19. micah van hove's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Extremely well-drawn characters that exemplify an important discourse about the art world and listless youth vs responsibility. I really felt for all of these characters and they made me laugh A LOT. 5/5

20. girlsonvhs's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

I may or may not have continued to watch this because Louis Cancelmi's smile reminds me of Jason Schwartzman (I did.)

21. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

an interminable episode of Girls featuring a crew of insufferable hipsters. a good reminder that history has indeed ended and that humanity is stuck in a perpetual limbo. in hell, everybody mumbles.

22. Angela's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

While it skillfully put-together, and while the characters were well-written and realistic, having to follow around such brutally loathsome people makes for a really depressing experience. My hatred of all the main characters completely overpowered anything good about the movie.

23. Peter Rinaldi's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

Some really nice moments, some surprising moments, some solid performances. Enjoyable.

24. Polyglot's rating of the film Gabi on the Roof in July

''Even feminist lose bets!''