1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

2. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

The first half of this 5 hour 20-minute gangster epic lurches forth with ambition, establishing Bollywood Director Anurag Kashyap as perhaps the finest of all modern epic filmmakers with its huge scope and energy that ticks by breathlessly, but creates plenty of story, character, and deep insight into the interworkings of the family unit, as well as a thematic depth concerning a blood feud between the crime families.

3. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

this was probably the exact opposite of the filmmaker's intention but did this make anyone else REALLY want to play a Grand Theft Auto game set in southeast Asia

4. ceknklsn's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

5. Mikhail Karadimov's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Big and sparkly in all the right ways. Like watching a gangster picture composed to a choreographed firework show. The Bollywood infusion, the over-the-top pop music, and the bawdy chorus line that sporadically sings to the audience the characters' fate all work together to create one of the most delirious--if not The Most Delirious--gangster movie I've ever seen. And sure, it has its flaw,but it's ambitious.

6. David R Williams's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

"The Godfather" meets Bollywood and if you think that sounds fantastic then you are mistaken because its actually better than that. Epic.

7. mpho3's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

"I have no idea how deliberately Kashyap ... set out to combine the idioms of Eastern and Western cinema, and how much that organically arose from the material. It doesn’t much matter. Explosive, violent and profane from its very first seconds, the crime epic Gangs of Wasseypur simultaneously feels like a celebration of Indian cinema and an attempt to blow it up and start over." - Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com 4.5 stars

8. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

7 - This one is just a hell of a good time. A bit too eager to pay tribute to genre classics (it even starts to be afflicted by many of the same cliches), but pulled off with so much energy that it's very hard to care. The soundtrack isn't used in the best way, either (except in the terrific prison and wedding scenes), but it provides a lot of flavor. The script is also sharp, and the characters suitably amoral.

9. Kevin's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Months ago MUBI played Italian gangster films from the 70s. We are all familiar with The Godfather series, and among others John Woo. Men comment on the film, I suppose because of its violent nature. If you remove the violence and tell the same story it flows on so many levels. The premarriage scenes dance with happiness, the singer who shows for like a Greek Chorus Wonder what Sajit(SP?) Ray would say

10. h's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

this is an amazing film. anurag kashyap's "gulaal" and 2 parts of 'gangs of w..' are a must see for anyone with an interest in Indian films - they seem totally different compared to other mainstream indian cinema given the direction, style and execution. There is absolutely no cheesiness (that's usually part of mainstream Bollywood) in this one.

11. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Shooty, Shooty, Bang, Bang. Must our style pervade all corners of the world? There is something charming and different about Bollywood movies.

12. dkgulzar's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Modern cult movie...bringing Anurag to next level of directors. Every character, every incident so nicely worked that's totally un-parallel.

13. Peu Sur's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Wasseypur was so very real.

14. roujin's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Really looking forward to this.

15. Creative Pagal's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

16. Cosme Castro's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

17. Andre Rehal's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

A pulpy crime dynasty film with a dash of social commentary for good measure and plenty of humour. Despite its 3 hour runtime it was over in the blink of an eye, which is a goof thing. However, you do need to see the second film to get the full scope of the story (obviously). The whole thing has more of a mini-seres vibe to than anything else.

18. sami's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

Graphic and funny (Manoj Bajpai is one hilariously goofy ganglord). It’s unashamedly kitch at times and formulaic throughout, but who cares, it’s got tremendous energy, it’s chaotic, it’s packed with colourful characters (all of them perfectly cast), and I love how the songs accompany the action and how the lyrics are used a storytelling tool.

19. rosa's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

so rustic and funny. however i felt there were too many plots and characters squeezed into this installment.

20. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Gangs of Wasseypur: Part I

The first part has lots of colour, moments of inspiration, pretty awesome art direction, cinematography and music. But it feels soulless. I'm hoping the second part justifies the very thrown-together-randomly feel the first part evokes.