1. beepea's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

I wanted to drop a star, but money and editing didn’t break a thing. Gunn near the beginning of the film, strings a poem together about the difference between desire and hunger. I reckon it is simply a breath. The seeming narrative leaps are, ours’ and the characters’ breaths, between a Past that pushes through our brains like its Springtime, and a Present that receives a sidelong glance and a loosening of the tie.

2. daniroelleb's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

I'm giving this movie a four star because of how beautiful it is. Some of the dialogue was bad and the acting was a little much and let's not forget how fake the blood looked but overall it was beautifully shot and so poetic. I really enjoyed the film and all it's quirkiness but it's definitely a new favorite of mine. This a great film and everyone in the cast was so sexy and stylish.. A very unique horror film.

3. El Biffo's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

An imperfect film, but also totally original and unforgettable. So many layers.

4. Fabiha's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

"So we got three things: some grape jelly, hominy grits, and an extension cord."

5. Pymo's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Let me be pure through your blood.

6. dylan's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Excellent soundtrack backs a journey through a beautifully shot and subject-serious vampire flick. The action is subtle and the mood is emotionally ambiguous but it's certainly a visual and aural treasure.

7. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

8. Bertha's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

9. Erik F.'s rating of the film Ganja & Hess

I didn't know what to expect going into this, and, now that I've seen it, I don't have the slightest idea what to make of it -- but I like films like that, so it's OK! I can say that I wasn't expecting it to be so funny (at times).

10. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Far much better than the recent Spike Lee remake, in all senses, particularly the acting.

11. S Campbell's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

12. klofter's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Mesmerizing and mysterious as well as visually striking and deeply affecting. Every time I see it, I discover a new facet to this profound work of art (there is no other way to describe it). A singular, stunning achievement from a mind that seems to simultaneously not be from this world and to have a better grasp on human nature than most of us. A masterpiece.

13. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Ganja & Hess

14. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

A major work. Hugely imperfect, but many of its imperfections contribute to the poetic delirium.

15. David R Williams's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Falls more under the art-film genre than blaxploitation - this is the full 110 minute version rather than the severly truncated 78 minute theatrical release. One reviewer said..."an experimental overlapping of dialogue, image, voiceover and music that makes you feel as if you're suffering from an awful fever dream" - indeed.

16. OcioActivo's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

I'll be the first to admit it; I don't entirely 'get' this film. Blaxploitation is a sub-genre is either love or hate it feels. Anyway, G&H is at its best memorable, abstract, and mesmerizing. It fits somewhere in the middle as far as vampire flicks go. The 70's effects do it justice in my opinion; unsettling. At is worst, the film barely carries a story or thought in a sensible way; confusing, meandering, & preachy.

17. Tom Cottey's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

A bold, brilliant and psychedelic film by Bill Gunn. Up there with Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg's Performance. I reviewed it here: http://reflectonfilm.co.uk/2015/01/25/ganja-hess-dir-bill-gunn-usa-1973-dvd-review/

18. Jalise's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

19. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

It's all about the struggle between the bourgoisie and the proletariat. Rich people love to eat the poor. You need a 1970s brain to truly understand this movie. I used to have one. Nice visuals.

20. msmichel's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Though certainly not what the producers expected Bill Gunn's ground breaking, influential art film has gained a following with age. Gunn's take on vampirism and black spirituality offers much more than a horror offering. One can only suppose its influence on later films such as Romero's 'Martin', Ferrara's "The Addiction" and Fessenden's 'Habit'. Low production values (especially sound) don't take away the impact.

21. MoeHartman's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

Mislabeled as cheap blaxploitation horror, Bill Gunn's Ganja & Hess is an emotionally complex and deliberately paced psychological meditation on addiction with an inspired turn by Duane Jones in one of his few post-Living Dead roles. The 16mm photography is naturalistic and vibrant and is accompanied nicely by a versatile and sometimes surreal score by Sam Waymon (brother and sometimes collaborator of Nina Simone).

22. mpho3's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

"You could say that Bill Gunn was a man who came before his time, but that leaves you working under the flimsy assumption that a time more hospitable to this man of undeniable talents and mercurial preoccupations would some day come." - Brandon Harris, Filmmaker Magazine. 3.5 stars

23. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

24. Karen Cormier's rating of the film Ganja & Hess

This is a film packed with enigma, eloquence, fatalism and meandering references to Voudoun and African roots. It is a must see for fans of Night of The Living Dead due to the presence of Duane Jones and shows what cinema is all about. It would be a chic double feature with Vampyros Lesbos, or a perfect triple with Morissey's Blood for Dracula.