1. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Japanese Othello seen through a mirror.

2. traag-1's rating of the film Gate of Hell

vibrant use of a solid color palette mixed with a superb creeping, balanced score had me glued until the tragic finale.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Une oeuvre magistrale, d'une splendeur picturale éblouissante (utilisation du fameux procédé "eastman color") et d'une profonde véracité psychologique qui fut récompensée, entre autres, par les deux plus hautes distinctions du milieu cinéma, la Palme d'Or cannoise et l'Oscar du Meilleur Film Etranger... www.cinefiches.com

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Gate of Hell

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Obsessive love... in beautiful color!!

6. Ostermyers's rating of the film Gate of Hell

great colors, great shot...in a kinda of weak set. I'm a bit disappointed. Or I missed the point.

7. Cosi's rating of the film Gate of Hell

masterful. that Moritoh turned into a real jerk huh

8. JoshuahAllen's rating of the film Gate of Hell

9. Stevie's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Stunning use of colour which elevates the film far higher than its mediocre story, by itself, would allow.

10. João Rocha's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Amazing work of photography and color, but the plot is quite poor and a really bad choose of cast members.

11. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Gate of Hell

One of the most beautiful looking films ever made in terms of color photography, Gate Of Hell is still a sub-standard melodrama in terms of story. While post-WWII symbolism and context may loom over it, these literary qualities are unfulfilled thus making its heart not as affective outside of its vibrant and utterly titillating colors. The eye's in the right place, but the soul has to get in-sync.

12. Ben Dooley's rating of the film Gate of Hell

A curious, strange film - I'd like to know a little more about it, as it shifts in tone quite a lot at the start from apparent war drama to apparent romance, before it sets on being about perverse male desire and power-play, in a love triangle. Beautiful use of colour and misty settings. May be political allegory, or may be based on how some samurais actually behaved. Then again it may just be a yarn!

13. Liam Liam's rating of the film Gate of Hell

14. raggiodisole's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Dazzling stuff. what love can make us do.

15. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Gate of Hell

16. deannatomasetti's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Visually stunning, but nothing groundbreaking in the way of plot. Started off super slowly, too.

17. Michael's rating of the film Gate of Hell

18. Mark Walker's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Beautiful and engaging, but can't shake the idea that its two leads are miscast and the drama has a theatricality that hasn't dated all that well.

19. mjgildea's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Visually speaking, Gate of Hell was a marvel by 50s or today's standards. The brief shot where a lantern was being lit just past sunset was easily one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on film. From a storytelling standpoint I didn't love it. Watching a seemingly solid guy turn into an idiot over a woman is never a pleasant thing to watch but the story's resolution and the final shot made this worth it.

20. Kays Vanderest's rating of the film Gate of Hell

21. Lumière's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Certainly one of the most beautiful uses of color, in any film.

22. Lumenal's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Astonishing use of color here. Some of the scenes are like vivid paintings. In particular, some of the night time scenes are absolutely gorgeous.

23. A47's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Colorful and SHARP; The cinematography is a marvel for its time. However, it is the balance, or rather the dance, between the plot and character driven script that most interests me about this film. An intriguing platform for creating a moral structure within the film, instead of accepting a set compass. All three characters are given contradicting and lively points of view, leading to a powerful contradiction.

24. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Gate of Hell

The most visually beautiful drama I've ever seen, the colors just pop out like a moving piece of history. It doesn't have the impressionistic feel of A Page of Madness but this conventional drama is an entertaining and ironic film where no one is quite who they seem to be. To be honest the conventional story is the only reason I didn't love the film.