1. A47's rating of the film Gate of Hell

Colorful and SHARP; The cinematography is a marvel for its time. However, it is the balance, or rather the dance, between the plot and character driven script that most interests me about this film. An intriguing platform for creating a moral structure within the film, instead of accepting a set compass. All three characters are given contradicting and lively points of view, leading to a powerful contradiction.

2. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Gate of Hell

The most visually beautiful drama I've ever seen, the colors just pop out like a moving piece of history. It doesn't have the impressionistic feel of A Page of Madness but this conventional drama is an entertaining and ironic film where no one is quite who they seem to be. To be honest the conventional story is the only reason I didn't love the film.

3. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Gate of Hell

The beginning is so misleading, the way it tricks you into thinking this is a cheesy historical epic and then it just does a complete 180. This rivals, and maybe even trumps some of the other great psychological dramas of the era. The way Kinugasa frames each shot and his use of color was quite revolutionary, although at times a bit excessive. I enjoyed this one, but I didn't love it.

4. Galen's rating of the film Gate of Hell