1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Gates of Night

Destiny's a bitch, a bum, a facilitator. The pieces move across the board, the lovers, the traitor with the unibrow, the kids, the statues, the infidelity. Who will enter the 'Gates of Night'?

2. El Biffo's rating of the film Gates of Night

The Cinema Magic may be a bit contrived here, but it is magic nonetheless. A gorgeous picture to watch, and a fabulous restoration by L'Immagine Ritrovata.

3. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Gates of Night

Before the show, Bertrand Tavernier came out to tell us that we were about to see a compromised, "flawed", "okay" film. He needn't have been so harsh, but I can understand his cinephiliac sadness that Carné's follow-up to Children of Paradise isn't the masterpiece it has the elements of. A poetic gem, mixing tragic fairy tale yearning with the grim complications of the Occupation, while a mysterious tramp watches on.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Gates of Night

Ecrit à l'origine pour Marlène Dietrich et Jean Gabin, un film qui fut traité avec mépris par la critique de l'époque, mais qui à l'aune du temps, a été réévalué jusqu'à devenir un véritable "classique" du cinéma français représentatif du célèbre réalisme poétique de Marcel Carné... www.cinefiches.com

5. Margot H's rating of the film Gates of Night

C'est une chanson...qui nous ressemble...

6. animalcalls's rating of the film Gates of Night

Marcel Carne and Jacques Prevert's brand of poetic, serious dramas are some of my favorite films from France. Large, stark shadows cut across the screen; heated melodramas swell with hushed, sensitive dialogue; and an air of something magical hangs like Paris fog. A sweet, tortured picture.

7. pinkwargasm's rating of the film Gates of Night