1. EdieEmm's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Hell yes, stories infect us; choose well! Pick this one if you like playing on the trellis: Those universal monkeybars that sprout infinities at each step. That existential topography played on by Pynchon, Greenaway, Robbe-Grillet, Borges... Part deliciously improbable, deadpan dark comedy; part postmodern detective story; part game. Which also describes how we maintain 'identity' despite exponential hybridizations.

2. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

I killed my mother - and my mother killed me back.

3. Vítor Freire Zannin's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

So fucking good. "Genealogies of a Crime" is a suspense that engages your subconscious mind as much, if not more, as the rational one.

4. Kathleen Putnam's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Wonderful! Also, this must be the only film in history in which a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (Patrick Modiano) appears!

5. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Twisted and incomprehensible as it may seem at times, this movie -like much of Ruiz work, is such a treat for the eye! Wow!

6. aconeyisland's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

defenestration could have worked as well

7. captainfez's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

If only the slapping administered sense. Or unconsciousness.

8. Jason's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

In late youth / early adulthood my experience of the many riches of world cinema for the most part involved watching VHS tapes whilst drinking bourbon and smoking joints. Probably not surprising that in this context I was a big fan of Ruiz in general and GÉNÉALOGIES in particular. Now comparatively clear-headed, I do not experience this movies as something that enfolds me, but I still marvel at the berserk invention.

9. NGboo's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

"Truth is absorbed through the eyes", but not if you're dealing with the Franco-Belgian Psychoanalytic Society. Replete with shadows, mirrors, funerals and mind-games, "Genealogies of a Crime" is like Hitchcock meets Robbe-Grillet, but it's pretty much drenched in Ruizian dream logic.

10. FISCHER's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

>>> Pour l'univers troublant de Ruiz ! www.cinefiches.com

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

12. Reynaldo Goulart's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

visually complex; mise-en-scène genial

13. F.Bieberkopf's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

A masterpiece by all means. Scant attention to narrative, pedantic mise en scène, a convoluted reality-fiction interplay, semblence of a murder mystery and revenge drama and yet not quite, and a brilliant Catherine Denveuve. Not much else you can ask for.

14. msmichel's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Fascinating script by Ruiz and Bonitzer with a ravishing Deneuve game for its puzzle box structure. Deneuve is quite remarkable here but unfortunately both Piccoli and Poupaud overact this time out. Camera work and set design though subdued are interesting but its the script that sings here with its odd mix of psychology, surrealism and chamber drama. Well worth a watch but not classic Ruiz.

15. Cole Caudle's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Very reminiscent of some Rivette with its themes of duality, reality vs. illusion, ritual and play, the impossibility of knowing the truth etc. Truly odd film that lingers.

16. Sefer Taslı Sapık's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Go scenes are nearly as beautiful as Miss Deneuve. How i wish i could play a game with her.

17. Addiena of Mubi land's rating of the film Genealogies of a Crime

Catherine Deneuve is a radiance in this drama/thriller. Wanna be looking like her by the time am reaching her age.