1. meixio's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

This is what I want to do with my life. Inspiring. ps: watch it while high, even better

2. Chichago_'s rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

I am not a painter, but as a person who enjoys looking at paintings, I think that abstract painting is more extraordinary than realistic painting. It is because in realistic painting, we can judge whether the painting is good or not based on the similarity to the actual object; but in abstraction, the painter can make something that doesn't have a particular shape into something that is aesthetically pleasing to see.

3. Who told you this room exists?'s rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

Despite finding myself craving for more insight into Richter's art, I do appreciate the filmmaker's not so successful approach to his unfathomable universe. The docu happened to be aptly titled if we see it this way: Gerhard Richter Painting - Richter being painted as the film shows, which made Belz an artist herself, bringing out without a clue Richter's seemingly haphazard creative process on her cinematic canvas.

4. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

One of the best painter documentaries. Put through the rigors, brought down to an essence. Just perfect, each work, process or not had such perfect time to breath, to digest. God that ending. Agh.

5. muse_x's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

I see others balk(ing) at the fact that Mr. Richter shows (how he does it), but doesn't tell (much about... whatever). This doc's about his process w/ a bit of context added. In the end, I feel extremely fortunate that Mr. Richter allowed for this doc to happen, since it's obvious the camera's presence pains him. Still, now that I've glimpsed at his process, I appreciate his work ever more so.

6. Mogambo's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

I don't see how you can make this sort of subject matter for a film any more entertaining. I liked the fact that there was very little focus on the artist's life. I did not know anything about the Richter's paintings before the film and felt captivated by his process. The films gaze felt spot on and drew me in. I would have like to seen more of how Richter felt his paintings were affected by his being filmed.

7. Witek Lewis's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

✺ I find the idea of a documentary featuring a subject that seems to be legitimately uncomfortable on camera to be SO amusing ✺ If anything, this movie is worth it to see the practical day-to-day of an insanely wealthy artist: his assistants clean his paint before he uses it! ✺ His techniques are genuinely interesting ✺

8. ihor's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

A close look into the process of perhaps the greatest painter alive today. Unfortunately the painter himself is far more interesting than the documentary. The parts depicting his work process gives an even higher appreciation of his work, but Richter at times clearly seems uncomfortable in front of a camera. The film thereby only gives a partial portrait of a modern master.

9. Tisa's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

He destroyed every painting I loved, as if he could hear me looking through the screen. And then, he made it better. Made it live. Made it truthful, not just beautiful, or bright. And then I understood. Utterly fascinating.

10. aubfuscate's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

If you've ever embarked on the creative process, you will enjoy this film.

11. jim in austin's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

Not that much of a fan of the end product but the process is fascinating...

12. Lexi Bass's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

Utterly boring with nothing to say about his own art, nor art in general. Too bad, I've read historians' writings on his work that rendered much deeper philosophies to his practice. But in reality there is none. That, or he's gone senile.

13. Daniel Iván's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

Fantastic! Not only for the simplicity of the story telling but also for the neat, intimate portrait of the creative process itself. So invasive it should be uncomfortable; surprisingly, it is not.

14. Annie Gentil-Kraatz's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

Interesting to see Gerhard Richter paint but the documentary was very basic and did not reveal much of Richter's personality and life out of the studio...

15. dschank's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

the title says it all, and mr. richter says almost nothing in addition. which is fine, since the few times he speaks, he offers little more than warmed-over formalist platitudes. otherwise, he seems pleasant enough. and watching him paint is cool. you'll know within 10 minutes whether or not this is the movie for you.

16. msmichel's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

A glimpse into the creation behind new works by Gerhard Richter visiting his studio in Germany as well as being witness to some gallery shows over the last four years. Interesting in seeing that Richter constantly self critiques and doesn't seem to know exactly where the canvas is going and when he's done with it. Often as an audience member we wince when he again whitewashes or adds another layer to a work.

17. Adam W. Parker's rating of the film Gerhard Richter Painting

exactly what it is, it doesn't need to be any more...almost everything said and done is metaphorical