1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

A trainload of potatoes is coming!

3. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

What a film to drop on 1948! I was surprised to hear it got a so-so reception. Yes, it makes its points through unnecessary contrivances, as does most of neo-realism. But the haunted face of the young boy, the simultaneous ambiguity and clarity of Nazi Germany's defeated citizens, and most of all the restless camerawork—always circling—were ahead of their time. A raw cry to hold onto life, no matter the circumstance.

4. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

A horse's corpse is chopped by a mob in the streets of Berlin; an enveloping ruinscape is the scenery of a precise moment in time defined by the inexistence of a moral centre; everything has to be rebuilt, even purpose and ideology. The voice of Hitler echoes amidst the rubble, like that of a ghost. Long travellings follow Edmond's intermitent behavior: suicide and play blend as a continuum of childlike weariness.

5. Vincent T's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

rated from memory. Needs a rewatch.

6. nessmj's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

pretty incredible. edmund, a personification of post-war germany's struggling dichotomy in identity, simultaneously a product of nazi germany and their loss, reflects a society's inability to reconcile its sordid past and its uncertain future. heartbreaking to witness this allegory through the haunting travels of a child in the backdrop of a destroyed berlin to punctuate this turmoil.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

I can’t remember “Rome, Open City” very well, but I think I like this better. It sticks in the mind more, and that ending truly shocked me. Rossellini is not my favorite director though. I find his style to me a little too… something I can’t put my finger on. I wouldn’t call this melodramatic, but it feels more forced than some other great neorealist works, like “Bicycle Thieves.” Still good though.

8. das Kino's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Die ungeschminkte Wirklichkeit Nachkriegdeutschlands ist hier ganz gut dargestellt. Einer meiner lieblings Films des Neorealismus Stils

9. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

10. film_lies101's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

You see the ending coming, but it's still a kick in the guts

11. Trapped In The Cinema's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

As with the rest of the trilogy, a superb sense of location. But the melodrama in the second half means it loses that sense of hardened reality https://trappedinthecinemablog.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/germany-year-zero-1948/

12. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

13. Jim Fear's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Real post-war scenarios.

14. ceknklsn's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

15. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

It's been said that neorealism didn't have export value beyond it's specific geographical and temporal context. This movie is supposedly a failure which illustrates this. To me however it's my favorite Rosselini movie...

16. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

To the boy who couldn't fit in with anyone

17. Rafael Ramz III's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Breathes with the wheezing rasp of hysteria, then stops.

19. narwhal44123's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

20. ikkini's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Pas le meilleur film du mouvement néo-réaliste italien, il n'en reste pas moins un témoignage fascinant sur l'Allemagne après guerre.

21. Ahmed Hasan's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

22. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

23. Lance L O T's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

It's not as strong as Roma, but it is a film that uses the atmosphere of a destroyed city to think about its people and to think about several generations of Germans and how they cope with living, since there is no time to cope with what happened regarding the war and Nazism. Edmund is the child of all these generations who do not have time to think and evaluate themselves, but he does and there's only one way out.

24. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Incredibly sad and moving. I love Rossellini's War Trilogy.