1. Erik F.'s rating of the film Germany Year Zero

A child's-eye view of a war-ravaged world, made all the more poignant by Rossellini's personal tragedy (the film is dedicated to his son).

2. dionysus67's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

An extraodrinarily chilling and moving depiction of human remains (corpoeal, psychological, and moral) amidst ruins. Rossellini's despairing account of moral dislocation, collective trauma and guilt is conveyed with an ontological depth, rarely encountered in cinema. Interior and exterior shots mesh in terms of emotional emptiness as Edmund wanders into Leviathan's entrails before his surrender to meaninglessness.

3. O...'s rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Largos travellings que deambulan errantes por las ruinas del espacio, en donde Rossellini unifica el individuo junto con los espacios deshabitados. Precisamente este vacío forma parte no solo del conjunto sino del sujeto, Edmund, el niño, el año cero, que explora sin saber, pero bajo la presencia de las posibilidades que se le muestran: el engaño del nazismo, la moral perdida, la voz de Hitler en las sombras.

4. ceknklsn's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

45/100 (SPOİLER !!! 13 yaşında. Kaba tabirle 6. sınıfa yeni başlayacak. Evet çocuk 13 yaşında ancak düşünceleri 40 yaşında. Eğer böyle ince düşünebilen, varoluşsal sancı çeken, babası aileye yük olmasın diye feda edebilecek, bunun vicdan azabıyla intahar edecek kadar derin düşünebilen çocuk gösterirseniz puanım sizin için 100 olarak değiştirilecektir.)

5. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Sombre "documentaire", à peine fictionnel, qui montre sans aucune complaisance ni sensiblerie, l'existence précaire des survivants et plus spécifiquement celle des enfants, éternels victimes désignés de la bêtise humaine... www.cinefiches.com

7. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

8. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Last of Rossellini’s War trilogy, this time following a young german boy among the rubbles of a German-occupied Rome. Neorealism at its most effective and filmmaking that blurs the lines between fiction and reality. A film like this could never be recreated the same and that is why it is so precious. The despair of loss of young life was partially inspired by Rossellini losing his own son two years earlier.

9. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

10. Aardsy's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

A trainload of potatoes is coming!

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

What a film to drop on 1948! I was surprised to hear it got a so-so reception. Yes, it makes its points through unnecessary contrivances, as does most of neo-realism. But the haunted face of the young boy, the simultaneous ambiguity and clarity of Nazi Germany's defeated citizens, and most of all the restless camerawork—always circling—were ahead of their time. A raw cry to hold onto life, no matter the circumstance.

12. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

A horse's corpse is chopped by a mob in the streets of Berlin; an enveloping ruinscape is the scenery of a precise moment in time defined by the inexistence of a moral centre; everything has to be rebuilt, even purpose and ideology. The voice of Hitler echoes amidst the rubble, like that of a ghost. Long travellings follow Edmond's intermitent behavior: suicide and play blend as a continuum of childlike weariness.

13. Vincent T's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

rated from memory. Needs a rewatch.

14. nessmj's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

pretty incredible. edmund, a personification of post-war germany's struggling dichotomy in identity, simultaneously a product of nazi germany and their loss, reflects a society's inability to reconcile its sordid past and its uncertain future. heartbreaking to witness this allegory through the haunting travels of a child in the backdrop of a destroyed berlin to punctuate this turmoil.

15. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

I can’t remember “Rome, Open City” very well, but I think I like this better. It sticks in the mind more, and that ending truly shocked me. Rossellini is not my favorite director though. I find his style to me a little too… something I can’t put my finger on. I wouldn’t call this melodramatic, but it feels more forced than some other great neorealist works, like “Bicycle Thieves.” Still good though.

16. das Kino's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

Die ungeschminkte Wirklichkeit Nachkriegdeutschlands ist hier ganz gut dargestellt. Einer meiner lieblings Films des Neorealismus Stils

17. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

18. film_lies101's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

You see the ending coming, but it's still a kick in the guts

19. Trapped In The Cinema's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

As with the rest of the trilogy, a superb sense of location. But the melodrama in the second half means it loses that sense of hardened reality https://trappedinthecinemablog.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/germany-year-zero-1948/

20. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

21. lowplacelikehome's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

22. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

It's been said that neorealism didn't have export value beyond it's specific geographical and temporal context. This movie is supposedly a failure which illustrates this. To me however it's my favorite Rosselini movie...

23. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Germany Year Zero

To the boy who couldn't fit in with anyone

24. Rafael Ramz III's rating of the film Germany Year Zero