1. mpho3's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

I'm not a "banjophile," but I do love musicianship of many stripes. This story of the instrument and its innovators is deep. "You can't talk about the history of the banjo if you can't talk about racism, slavery, misogyny, appropriation, exploitation ... all the things that run counter to what we love about the banjo. - Greg Adams, Ethnomusicologist. 3.5 stars

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

Glad to have watched it, but sad for all the potential insight and untold stories that flickered here and there at the margins. The promise of hearing America's story went unfulfilled as well. African sources and sounds on top of that. Hope it drives somebody to tell the fuller story with central things at the center.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

They is a'pickin' and I am a'grinnin'.

4. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

(2.5 stars) Good ol' banjo music. Pretty solid documentary told in the style of a Ken Burns doc. It's interesting but nothing ground-breaking here. But light and easy and a great tribute to this particular instrument and the music it spawned.

5. NicD's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

Fun documentary, though a little rushed. Made a pretty abrupt transition from the instrument's African American roots to its role in white music.

6. Neil troost's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

God damn! thats a movie! a strong topic, well done, great research...some things you know and some surprises. and, of course, i love the music. sweet.

7. David Richards's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

OK doc about the banjo. I enjoyed learning about some of the early players, but would have liked more detail about the history, construction and playing techniques. It was as if the makers were afraid of boring us. Minstrel shows, touched upon, is a topic that deserves its own documentary.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Give Me the Banjo

We used to have a drive home time bluegrass station and it really gave me an appreciation for the music. It really does make you feel good.