1. Aardsy's rating of the film God's Country

A still relevant masterpiece.

2. Andrew Miller's rating of the film God's Country

The key to the film is that Malle visits the community (at least) twice.

3. rachel collier's rating of the film God's Country

4. Samuel Donath's rating of the film God's Country

3.5 One of the better Malle documentaries.

5. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film God's Country

A truly genuine peek into the lives of the people of Glencoe during 1979 and then again six years later. I love the way that Malle approaches people with such a sincere interest in their lives, hopes and dreams and creates this all encompassing slice of life.

6. ihor's rating of the film God's Country

A strange and candid look at Reganite small town America. A sort of 20th century Democracy in America with another outsider Frenchman looking into American society. Malle is never condescending although he does look into the moral structures that govern the residents actions and it seems clear he has some preferences.

7. Suzanne Gagnon's rating of the film God's Country

Vanya on 42nd street is one of my all time favorite movies. Acting at its purest form.

8. Dave Rotenberg's rating of the film God's Country

This movie, to me, is what documentary film should be all about. Malle offered a complete picture of one town at two certain points in time - without commenting on what he was witnessing.

9. paul wackers's rating of the film God's Country

wow if this doesn't still ring true i don't know what does. progress for what we may leave to much behind a beautiful portrait of america.

10. NE1's rating of the film God's Country

Louis Malle captures raw Americana. Taking turns from documentary to allegory. Testimony to confession. Both stubborn & inviting. There are so many honest eyes.

11. Endless Eye's rating of the film God's Country

Without a doubt, the lawnmower scene is worth the entire film. With the sincerely fond and curious eye of a total outsider, Malle descends on Glencoe, MN and manages to capture a slice of life with surprising intimacy.

12. benvanloon's rating of the film God's Country

Another excellent look at true Americana.

13. Malkin's rating of the film God's Country

Malle paints a portrait of the nostalgic "old way" - the muted expectations, the contentment in gentle community and piety, all the humble concession to life's waves - and laments the way it faded, replaced by our contemporary obsession with greed. This is the sad and quiet beginning of the perversion of the American Dream, reaching into even the sleepiest and friendliest corners of the country. A very beautiful film

14. Justin Kane's rating of the film God's Country

If someone made a documentary about the town I grew up in it wouldn't be that dissimilar to this film. Secondly I wish I could have been friends with Louis Malle, his lens is always compassionately transfixed on the right people not to mention timelessly relevant, a true sociologist.

15. Aaron B. Smith's rating of the film God's Country

Beautiful. Poignant. Moving. If you have know people and places like the ones in this film, you will know the Malle got it right.

16. Miranda Patton's rating of the film God's Country

I wonder if this film would even be possible these days. It is very resonant, but the people in this film were so real and gracious. I think people now in the era of reality television wouldn't know how to be real. If I were making a film like this, I would suspect that most people that I came across were just acting for me and hamming it up for their 15 minutes.

17. KirkT's rating of the film God's Country

Fantastic documentary. I wonder what the gentleman in the end ,who commented about greed, would think about America today. Watching this piece of moving history makes it hard to stomach the actions today.

18. Orameh's rating of the film God's Country

I find it interesting that this film was shot in 1979 and 1985.....and the theme stands true for 2008. Alarmingly wonderful documentary I just saw thanks o this sight.....and Malle of course.

19. Jay a.k.a. 6FOOT's rating of the film God's Country

A very touching, raw documentary. Another masterpiece by one of my favorite directors.

20. Ana Ruediger's rating of the film God's Country

It takes a fine director like Malle to make a documentary about America that somehow does not exploit its subjects. The discussion about the 1985 government's "obsession with greed" seemed to ring a bell with our current situation in America. Perhaps history repeats itself.

21. Adam Downey's rating of the film God's Country

The before & after conversations with the young farmer & his family are fascinating.

22. Zach A's rating of the film God's Country

I'm from Minnesota. It seems that things have continued to spiral, and it's too bad I have so much trouble sharing the optimism of the lawyer at the end of the film. A very relevant story today. Great, important, and personal documentary filmmaking.

23. Eric's rating of the film God's Country

what a documentary should be.