1. Tisa's rating of the film Golden Door

Visually stunning, emotionally profound. The optic, sonic and haptic analogues of (Middle) Passage, mixing of tribes, tongues, the silence of resistance and the sound of lament between the Old world and the New, willful and forced migration, is a tense, troubled and yet still meaningful vibration. Analogues, but no equivalencies, between Italy and Africa. A beautifully fine line between pat and fraught.

2. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Golden Door

Definitely one of the stronger cinematic experiences I've had in sometime.

3. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film Golden Door

There are many touching scenes, and the cinematography is often clever, but I found it challenging to maintain interest. Maybe another viewing another time...

4. David R Williams's rating of the film Golden Door

A "beautiful dream of a film" - A. O. Scott. If a better tale of the immigrant experience has been made I have not seen it.

5. El Biffo's rating of the film Golden Door

Magical Realism + inspired cinematography by Agnes Godard = 4.3 stars

6. laurax's rating of the film Golden Door

4.5 stars Beautifully filmed movie. Strikingly honest, realistic and yet a touch surreal. Wonderful characters. My favorite shot is when the best leaves the dock in Italy, and we see the seapartion of the two groups of people.

7. Aksana K's rating of the film Golden Door

This is a preview of what immigration will be like in Trump's America. I loved the old lady the most. Brave, beautiful, strong.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Golden Door

Ignore my rating. I can't stand those day-for-night filters. They are deal-breakers.

9. Feng Ling's rating of the film Golden Door

interesting but feels a bit try hard on being funky/mysterious. As an F1 student I can say that those indignities for sure is still here albeit updated. I thought the son is autistic but someone suggests that it's the mother ("healer") transferring her voice to him so that he can stay. I don't like such magical interpretation, yet it feels like that's exactly what the makers intended.

10. Loz Loory's rating of the film Golden Door

Stunningly beautiful. Devoid of the schmaltzy sentimentality in which American directors often wrap the New World journey. Delightfully surreal dream sequences. I wish the 2 American songs hadn't been used; they were at odds with the movie's quiet tone. Folk music (similar to the songs sung during the crossing) would have been better. Great contrast between the opening rock fields and the ending river of milk.

11. Kyle Williams's rating of the film Golden Door

Beautifully shot with some surprisingly heart wrenching scenes, done without any of the gross sentimentalism usually held within that Ellis Island narrative.

12. Jack Hoehn's rating of the film Golden Door

Manages to find something new to say about as well-worn a subject as I can think of

13. Armando's rating of the film Golden Door

Beautiful film with a beautiful ending.

14. azoulay's rating of the film Golden Door

Il y a peu de metteur-en-scène capable de filmer des scènes de foules avec talent comme ici. Le mélange de peinture sociale et d'images oniriques est réussi et nous rappelle un certain cinéma italien aujourd'hui disparu.Dommage que le jeu des acteurs manque de force et que le scénario, notamment à Long Island soit convenu, sinon...( la dernière image du film est géniale)

15. burcu avci's rating of the film Golden Door

16. Eduardo A.'s rating of the film Golden Door

One of the best film I've ever seen.

17. mothnode's rating of the film Golden Door