1. FISCHER's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Hsi est le chef d'une bande de délinquants dont font partie Kao, Tête d'Obus et Patachou. Le but avoué de ces joyeux lurons est d'amasser suffisamment d'argent pour quitter Taïwan et s'installer a Shanghai où ils exploiteraient une boîte disco. En fait, les amis dépensent systématiquement l'argent qu'ils volent. Surprenant et bienvenu ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Peregrine's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

There's people wanting and trying but only getting nothing and nowhere but at least there are sunglasses and colory shirts, a lot of noodles and soups and shots, girls and sunshine shorts, messy appartments and shared cigarettes, tattoos and neon lights, two motorbikes riding up a hill, and a lot of shots from inside their cars.

3. ermete polpette's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

4. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road/lights/smoke/railway/road.....

5. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

The greatest ''slow''-gangster film of all time.

6. mlstrx's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

i just want to open a fucking restaurant

7. mubianer's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Expected a bit more as I saw Hou himself call this his best film in a Q&A in Berlin a a few years back. I prefer his early films.

8. waywardwaters's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Through unmitigated realism with tinted, fleetingly voyeuristic shots filter the most unglamorized depiction of gangster life on film. Hou’s rhythm implies movement sans meaning, mundane and motorized leading merely to miles exhausted in static. Our passengers run on empty in languorous ennui, their youth depleted yet inert, stuck in neutral in a dead-ended future steered off-road and stagnant indefinitely.

9. Nom de plume's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

I really hated this movie. So much, that I almost went out of the cinema. And that absolutely baffles me, as I've loved everything else I've seen by HHH. At least it looked nice.

10. Kamran's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

http://aestheticsofthemind.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/goodbye-south-goodbye-hsaio-hsien-1996/ 90/100 - Amazing Captures Hou’s transition from nostalgia for childhood to nostalgia for youth. And those roads!! And those songs!!

11. Febbie Anne Flores's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

I don't know why, but I got bored watching it. Unlike Three Times and Millennium Mambo. Perhaps it needs second viewing :)

12. Kwenton's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Just cannot stand this director

13. The Future Mr. Gitts's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

14. Richie Abraham's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Hou is the master of melancholy, at once respectful and contemplative.

15. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

This film really consists of a collection of beautifully observed everyday moments, devoting its focus to what was going on at that particular point in time. However, When the moments are put together they paint a lugubrious portrait of a good man living in the wrong place at the wrong time. So painful yet so beautiful, so typical of Hou.

16. Mary Anne Magajes's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

17. Law's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

An existential documentation of the vapid and languid lives of various people outside the law in Taiwan. Subtle expressions of urban alienation and low-key long takes are what Hou Hsiao Hsien does best, and Goodbye South, Goodbye is graced thoroughly with the application of his masterful touches.

18. House 0f Leaves's rating of the film Goodbye South, Goodbye

Just rewatched this, having seen Dust in the Wind earlier in the day. That film made me think of this one, which I saw first over a year ago. But I was right--similar themes, and the shot of the train coming out of the tunnel is the exact same shot ten years later. I could watch his films back to back on a loop for the rest of my life.