1. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Gook

La Haine meets Do The Right Thing. Dancing to the tune of Daryl Hall & John Oates' Maneater is the only ray of light in his dark and tragic tale of racism, violence, and discrimination.

2. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Gook

Because hatred and violence always lead to disgrace, Chon envisioned passing that message during the emotionally disturbing final third. (3.5 stars)

3. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Gook

It's a good story, but the amateurish acting and some bad editing/directing choices end up undermining its emotional poignancy. It is great to see different points of views from different ethnicities and I'm a believer in microbudget films, but Gook came attached with a hype I'm not entirely sure it deserves.

4. wi.bi's rating of the film Gook

the first act is promising, warm and nice. but the 2nd and 3rd act just slip....

5. paul_quixote's rating of the film Gook

Milla's explanation re why she wears a flower in her hair might as well be a recitation of 2pac's "The Rose That Grew From Concrete." She's too often a thematic cipher &/or plot engine. Final moments are bafflingly spent replaying stuff from earlier, because, now, u know, we know what it MEANS. Big issues but the performances are great and I truly feel this movie has a lot to say about love and that's a rare thing.

6. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film Gook

Strong echoes of "Do The Right Thing" by Spike Lee, a film which daringly demonstrates the perils of communication breakdowns.

7. Mcpeer's rating of the film Gook

Bold and aggressive, Justin Chon's Gook is not quite the visceral or immediate film I was hoping for. What we have here is a patient, assured film that loves it's period, characters and setting. On paper, the film sounds like Do the Right Thing told from an Asian perspective, but it lacks Lee's bold vision and nuance. In time, Chon may deliver great work, but for now, we have strong but not amazing directorial debut.