1. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

A decent summary, if not survey, of this liberal monument (of which the documentary does it's fair share of worshiping). The melancholic undercurrent of loss and decay is affecting, more so when in contradiction with the subject's apparently brittle vice-like grip on the way he was perceived.

2. smndvdcl's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

Vidal remains one of the great political philosophers of the 20th century.

3. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

With his excellent writing ability, keen observation and outspoken nature, Vidal is a terrific subject for a documentary. But, as a cinematic experience, this film feels rather flat. You get sprinklings of Vidal's private life; but, mostly, the filmmakers are just mercilessly pounding the idea "Gore was great!" into your brain for almost 90 minutes, without one word spoken against him.

4. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

***1/2 A fairly typically put-together video-doc (the music is ridiculous), but Mr. Vidal, the greatest of all American walking contradictions, is "on" as ever, and what he has to say remains petrifyingly, disinterestedly astute; calmly devastating in its observant accuracy; and worryingly on point.

5. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

Hagiographic and unimaginatively made, but it lets Vidal hold forth enough that it's not tedious.

6. mjgildea's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

Being a blank slate on the subject I found this documentary to be informative and entertaining (the footage of Vidal and Buckley shredding each other especially), even if it was at times indulgent. Appreciating Vidal's views I wish I researched him sooner but I'm not sure how much a younger me would've enjoyed this. A good watch either way.

7. Sarah E. Fonseca's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

8. João Eça's rating of the film Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia

Interesting because Vidal is interesting. As a picture, it's shit.