1. Juan Javier's rating of the film Graduate First

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Graduate First

Maybe the reason why white people have committed so many heinous acts and atrocities over history is because we've been trying to distract everyone else from how bloody boring we are. Strange to think this was '79 as I would almost have placed it half-a-decade earlier. Are there a disproportionate number of French films w/ men trying to fuck young girls? Watch 2nd half for the dandy ephebophiles and the young punk.

3. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Graduate First

After the postmodern, iconography-feteschizing new wave Pialats naturalism is refreshing.

4. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Graduate First

5. Jegsy's rating of the film Graduate First

Small town teenage wildlife stuck in repetitious doldrums, yet with a great deal of shagging, so can it really have been that bad? Hmn. Throw in a couple of lecherous older men, and I guess it could. For all its claims to anomie, this slice of 70s life seems curiously innocent, charming and not at all as hopeless as the spirit crushing realities of today's technological dead hand.

6. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Graduate First

Being a city dweller growing up, I always dreamed of being in one of these bumpkin crews, getting stoned by the beach. But the grass isn't greener on the other side. Pialat demonstrates that we're never happy with our lot, nor sure of our direction in life. We're just as quick to blame others than take the opportunities we have. It's a well acted film, so much so that I thought he'd directed these actors off guard.

7. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Graduate First

A mix of mood piece and overview of that murky time between the raging moods of teenage years and the encroaching threat of adulthood, Graduate First is a messy delight from Maurice Pialat. I won't say I kept track of every character and every motivation, but it was easy enough to get swept up in the various emotions running throughout. Decent performances from the predominantly young cast also helped.

8. captainfez's rating of the film Graduate First

Fuck-ugly teenagers: a Gallic portrait.

9. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film Graduate First

10. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Graduate First

11. 'king Harold's rating of the film Graduate First

Christ those French towns, good luck to the boys in the van, I wonder what they are doing now.

12. Tja's rating of the film Graduate First

Think A Nous Amours, but with less family screaming, and more blue-collar as the charm of Sandrine Bonnaire is lacking. Post-school kids in mining village decide or fail to decide what's next for them in this depressing cinema verite account of how social custom and practice drags folk down. The only glimmer of hope lies with the two lads who are seen driving erratically towards Paris.

13. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Graduate First

the girl on the horse was the best ! loved the cyclical ending

14. Superfrog's rating of the film Graduate First

A little long and dispersed. Was it really this easy to get laid in the 70s? The view on the pointlessness of life is interesting though. I love the other commenter who think they really have something better than that. Not sure what the libidinous philosophy teacher character adds to the mix...

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Graduate First

Une excellente réalisation / tranche de vie, proche de l'impitoyable documentaire, filmée avec une extrême lucidité par Maurice Pialat dont la sobriété et l'efficacité "démonstrative" sont ici fort bienvenues... www.cinefiches.com

16. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Graduate First

17. kinotopia's rating of the film Graduate First

Pialat captures sincerity and the human experience in a way that's to be cherished.

18. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Graduate First

The 1979 model of the Western-world teenager was the first one that, as a seven year-old city-to-suburb transplant just landed on Long Island, I ever really noticed--which is to say, desperately wanted to BE. My babysitters and my friends' older siblings all looked just about exactly like Pialat's blank, bruised, beautiful ditherers, depicted here with pith, pity and generosity. Every generation is lost, oh la la.

19. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Graduate First

20. El Biffo's rating of the film Graduate First

Pialat really understood teenagers.

21. TZUHSIEN TANG's rating of the film Graduate First

22. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Graduate First

Even if the events seem minor, Pialat always treats us as social beings willing to inquire, read between the lines and ultimately interact with the characters onscreen in order to follow the narration. Don't expect the man to feed you on a silver platter. Also, here are some of Pialat's funniest sequences.

23. Gylfi's rating of the film Graduate First

Pialat's wonderful L'Enfance nue was about a difficult childhood and the lack of security, the sadness and bitterness experienced by it's main character, a young boy who has been abandoned by his mother. This time Pialat turns to that fragile and very complicated period of late teens/early adulthood and all the uncertainties, challenges and excitements that follow. It's a truly gifted director who's at work here!

24. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film Graduate First

"High Windows" translated to cinema. Somewhat of a precursor to the perilous maneuverings of Police, Pialat's youths lie and fuck and squander one another. They're all going down the long slide like free bloody birds [to happiness], and it's all just as familiar and out of reach as in Larkin's poem. Pialat has a go at those damn kids, but somewhere along the way the fist-shaking gets aimed at the deep blue air…