1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Grand Illusion

'La Grande Illusion' really pissed off Hitler, and he made it a point to try to find and destroy all copies of the movie. Luckily for world cinema, the Russians had the negative during World War II. This movie is about a different type of war. A nobler war that has rules, and people who respect each other. There's also some controversial stuff about anti-Semitism that crops up at the end of the film.

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Grand Illusion

I love when Mubi gives me the opportunity to catch up on an all-time classic that I've missed. Not only can I check this off my list, I can feel great while doing it, as Grand Illusion had a much stronger emotional connection than The Rules Of The Game did for me.

3. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Grand Illusion

The film is subdued, clever, and smartly ahead of its time. Taking particular note of the turmoil still present still in Europe while still displaying the deep running relations, the film establishes that early then sets it aside for what it is truly intrigued by. The film moves into the human psyche during war time and here is when it begins to thrive. Looking at many stories at once it finds a way to stay genuine.

4. David R Williams's rating of the film Grand Illusion

As the New Yorker states: ..."the ur-text of all P.O.W. movies..." http://tinyurl.com/yd66589x

5. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Everything was fine until 20 minutes from the end. Then WTF? We're in a chick flick!

6. Vishoka's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Difficult to believe that this movie is 80 years old! The illusion, according to Renoir, is that each war will be "the last," but this cinematographic testimony composed right before World War II gives food for though with a very humane touch.

7. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Grand Illusion

(4.5 stars) A grand film with wonderful characters, great story, good plotting, nice camerawork and completely enjoyable. A prisoner of war film but in a very refined "French" manner. Ha. Makes everything civil while the darkness of war hangs over it all. Fine performances all around. Renoir knows how to capture the spirit of human emotions and it's on good display here. There is simply a lot to love in this film.

8. Loz Loory's rating of the film Grand Illusion

I read "The Enormous Room" by e e cummings recently. It's a perfect companion to this movie. Cummings describes his time in a French military detention camp during WWI. The absurdity and cruelty of humans know no bounds.

9. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Grand Illusion

10. qiongying.hu@gmail.com's rating of the film Grand Illusion

One of a kind, the genre at its best.

11. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Grand Illusion

A film I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't seen until now, but in a way I'm grateful. This is a mature film, with a tone and trajectory that completely undermines any expectation you may have had. Often, Dark Humor is directed towards characters; but here, it's pointed squarely at the ideal of War, and its characters are loved by the film itself in a strange, ethereal, magnetic fashion. Essential.

12. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Grand Illusion

13. Nacnud Schmalz's rating of the film Grand Illusion

I don't get the historical importance, apparently. Really? - Orson Welles said that? The first 2/3rds is like Hogan's Heroes -- where are the real Hanoi Hiltons, or Guantanamo Bays, etc.? The last third, with the love affair between the French and the German - and the paternalism for the cute-little-Jew - sorry, I don't get it. Much prefer Renoir's "Afternoon in the Country".

14. crystal meff's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Fuck Trump and his white nationalist arsewipes !

15. Tyler Barton's rating of the film Grand Illusion

One of the all time greats.

16. Vincent T's rating of the film Grand Illusion

17. Ethan's rating of the film Grand Illusion

This is quite possibly the greatest anti-war film ever made and alongside The Rules of the Game is Renoir's greatest achievement.

18. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Grand Illusion

"Frontiers were invented by men, not nature." Meaning: In the aftermath of war, two soldiers that didn't get along realize that we're all the same, across borders. Or... After escaping from a prison camp and crossing the border to their safe haven in Switzerland, two soldiers realize that the freedom they're after seems to be an illusion.

19. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Grand Illusion

I’m not sure I understand the popular opinion that Renoir is one of the greatest directors who ever lived. “Grand Illusion” is a very good film, I could probably understand a solid argument for it even being a great one, but it is certainly not one of the greatest ever. It’s hard to find flaws, but also to find much that lifts it into glory. It’s “Casablanca” to me.

20. Mert Kaya's rating of the film Grand Illusion

one of the most modern movies i have watched pre-wwII

21. FISCHER's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Un éternel et inestimable chef-d'oeuvre du cinéma français qui eut l'étonnant privilège d'être le seul film français classé parmi les douze meilleurs films du monde, liste établie à Bruxelles en 1958 par les plus hautes sommités du 7ème Art de l'époque. www.cinefiches.com

22. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Grand Illusion

23. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Una de las películas más hermosas jamás hechas sobre la solidaridad entre los seres humanos, más allá de sus diferencias y las circunstancias difíciles (en este caso, el cautiverio durante la 1era guerra mundial). A mi juicio, el episodio de Maréchal y Rosenthal con la granjera alemana desequilibra un poco el conjunto de la obra, pero sin embargo no hace mella en su grandeza.

24. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Grand Illusion

Evocative, well-acted, and astonishingly tender. More of us could really afford to take cues from this movie. I think the film's restrained energy became particularly useful when it came time for the story to morph from an escape picture into a melancholy love story; a move that would've been risky for just about any other movie of this genre, to say the least. In this case, a move that adds ever more cohesion.

← Previous 1 3 4