1. Corey's rating of the film Grandmother

Good, you can definitely the social realist aesthetic.

2. msmichel's rating of the film Grandmother

Mendoza's 'Lola' tells a powerful and moving tale about two grandmothers on opposite sides of a tragedy both doing what they can within the poverty they live in to provide for their respective families. For one its trying to raise funds for a funeral; for the other getting her grandson free from jail. Scripting excels as does the turn by Anita Linda ('Adela').

3. katerpink's rating of the film Grandmother

Slow, rainy live of two grandmas who struggle with poverty. A feature movie, yet feels like a documentary. Seemingly trival plot keeps the viewer in suspense.

4. Bogdan Theodor Olteanu's rating of the film Grandmother

Brilliant movie. I can't wait to see it again.

5. Ankush Samant's rating of the film Grandmother

Like a poetry woven around simple things in life.

6. captainfez's rating of the film Grandmother

You probably don't appreciate yours enough, if this film is any indicator.

7. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Grandmother

8. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Grandmother

Wonderful and emotionally charged. This is the kind of film that I wish Lav Diaz would make. This was moving and sincerely touching. Amazingly well crafted.

9. Raluca Popescu's rating of the film Grandmother

10. ysbil's rating of the film Grandmother

Touching vivid picture of two old women confronting the harsh reality of the Philippine society. Determined to achieve their goals, they brave hard weather, poverty and the systems. Brillante Mendoza's camera is insistent, we can feel the women's fatigue, discomfort and pain right from the opening scene. The two old actresses are excellent.

11. stopyunn's rating of the film Grandmother

12. Jason's rating of the film Grandmother

The material here is basically the kind of thing we would expect in terms of international cinema made on the margins in the manner of the Italian neorealists and their pan-global progeny. And sure enough: the strongest things here combine naturalistic performances from non-professionals and extraordinary use of locations. I do, however, have major issues w/ the aesthetic, the camera sucking at life like a leech.

13. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Grandmother

We all know about the 20 min plot point rule: the limits of patience and reasonable viewer expectations. But sometimes when I begin to feel jittery in this age of cinematic saturation, I need to step back and ask myself what I want a film to do for me. On its own terms, Grandmother opens up a world where grief, labor, social justice and kinship can be heard in the sound of a raindrop and the respite of a television.

14. Hao Wang's rating of the film Grandmother

Great film. Something that we can all relate to.

15. Hannah's rating of the film Grandmother

I love how intimate this was, it was almost like I could feel the rain or the wind. It felt like a documentary. It was an interesting take, showing two grandmothers connected in such an awful way. I think platonic love is underrated in today's society and media so I really love that this focused on that kind of love and that bond between families. It was emotional, and equal parts heartwarming and heart-wrenching.

16. findfilm's rating of the film Grandmother

Totally drawn into this quite beautiful film about the love and dedication of women to their families. In this case 2 very resourceful and elderly ladies are adversaries in a murder case in Manila. The scenes of life in the rivercity suburbs are utterly compelling as is the way people interact and cohabitate in the urban squalor. Stunning cinematography and a haunting soundtrack complete the picture.

17. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Grandmother

Astonishing how Mendoza keeps close to the bodies. You have this wind and this rain you can almost feel. I got the impression i was really watching this story from the inside, from Manilla (not hidden behind my screen). That's how strong "Lola" is ! Thanks to lighter and smaller cameras, you can enjoy this modern way of filmmaking. It might look amateurish or chaotic to some : believe me it's not. Strong identity.

18. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Grandmother

"Look at that kid, he's not wearing clothes!," says the American young director shooting from the train on his Poverty Tour in the Philippines. "Shoot him at 60fps. In slow motion. SloMo makes everything look great."

19. FISCHER's rating of the film Grandmother

Deux rugueuses âmes en peine, dans la grande mégalopole de Manille, durant la saison des pluies, qui cherchent, chacune dans son intangible et bornée sentiment affectif, au-delà des inévitables et dérisoires compromis moraux et financiers, une raison de lutter contre la misère, le mauvais sort et la fatalité... www.cinefiches.com

20. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Grandmother

Mendoza's quasi-documentary focus on social reality and its functionality is kind of depressing. But after all in the end there is a faint glimpse of hope.

21. Soki's rating of the film Grandmother

You watch two old grannies struggling with poverty, the consequences of a murder and arthrites, and to my suprise that was a very compelling and fascinating ride. I loved the documentary-ish hand held camera and realistic depiction of urban Philippines, as far as I can tell of course. Great stuff. Slow pacing which I didn't mind, because the faces of the ladies tell stories on their own.

22. Robert Peters-Gehrke's rating of the film Grandmother

The film is too long but nevertheless something is missing here. Two old women are brought together by a crime: one grandson got stabbed by the other grandson. The two leads are outstanding, the handheld camera gives the film an astounding intimacy, there are intense moments of human anguish but very often the film drags and meanders its way to the too prosaic end.

23. kowalski's rating of the film Grandmother

110 minuten mitten in philipinen-manila...super

24. Bert Blau's rating of the film Grandmother

painful to watch, but great. against all odds, in poverty, squalidness, with no means, to make themselves heard, two ladies so close to the end of their lifes are not willing to loose their human dignity.