1. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Great Expectations

Lean avoids the narrative pitfall's of and dangerous forms of Victorian romanticism another filmmaker may have fell for and stay's focused on the objective in all aspects.

2. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Great Expectations

A consummate transposition of Dickens that captures the rich and fruity fresco of his storytelling. All elements coalesce with deftness and sureness of ambition, despite the occasional longuere. The sureness of touch almost makes you believe it could never be any other way.

3. Khashayar Mohammadi's rating of the film Great Expectations

One of the greatest Book-to-Movie adaptations of all time

4. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film Great Expectations

"I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be."

5. RockFuzzEleven's rating of the film Great Expectations

I didn't have any particular expectations for this movie actually, but it was pretty good!

6. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Great Expectations

7. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Great Expectations

Il y a 150 ans DICKENS écrivait Les Grandes Espérances & David LEAN l'adaptait au cinéma il y a 70 ans. Tout cela est étonnamment & quelque part dramatiquement, moderne. Puissance du récit, des acteurs, une réalisation magistrale, un chef d'oeuvre! == 150 years ago Dickens wrote Great Expectations & David Lean adapted it to the movies 70 years ago. All this is surprisingly & somehow sadly, very modern. A masterpiece.

8. darth_david@msn.com's rating of the film Great Expectations

"In trying of becoming a gentleman I had succeeded in becoming a snob." Qué bella película, qué bien dirigida. Grande, Grande era David Lean.

9. azoulay's rating of the film Great Expectations

On trouve dans ce film toute la virtuosité de David Lean, le cinéaste des espaces, de l'espace, des plans qui portent le sens, land infinie ou décors de poussières. La mise en scène est magistrale, seul bémol, la performance des deux jeunes premiers adultes n'est pas top mais c'est tellement bien et ensuite tout sera encore plus beau chez Lean, un des plus grands parmi les grands.

10. janh24's rating of the film Great Expectations

11. Superfrog's rating of the film Great Expectations

Really enjoyable, with moral ambiguity and great photography.

12. Bogomil Gospodinov's rating of the film Great Expectations

I find it ironic that some of the finest movies about romance were produced in Britain during the 40's.

13. captainfez's rating of the film Great Expectations

14. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Great Expectations

A nihilistic favourite for every Christmas.

15. DanB3000's rating of the film Great Expectations

16. FISCHER's rating of the film Great Expectations

Brillante adaptation de Dickens qui reste une des plus grandes réussites de David Lean, servi par la magnifique photographie de Guy Green et d'impressionnants décors. Un classique... www.cinefiches.com

17. 'king Harold's rating of the film Great Expectations

Remarkable. Bernard Miles' caterpillar eyebrows and Alec Guiness as David Sylvian from Japan. Didn't fancy Estella at all, rather harpooned it for me.

18. Tja's rating of the film Great Expectations

David Lean right in the Dickensian groove. Fantastic atmospheric realisation of the novel, with just enough omitted to keep the themes intact and to unrelentingly fix our attention. Magwitch for PM!

19. The Heff's rating of the film Great Expectations

Great cinematography in such a wonderful adaptation of a great piece of literature...highly recommended.

20. Nick Stamp's rating of the film Great Expectations

The first few scenes with pip on the marches, are pure cinematic beauty. So atmospheric with the fog and silhouetted characters .A cinematographers wet dream.

21. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Great Expectations

Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations" is very difficult to adapt - but this film is one of the best adaptations I've seen. In my opinion it's not as strong as David Lean's "Oliver Twist" but nonetheless it persuades through its strong cinematography and the change between very quiet and very dynamic sequences.

22. Marianne Kătelyn's rating of the film Great Expectations

I had no expectations but I'm still disappointed.

23. HSBilly's rating of the film Great Expectations