1. panagiotatos's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

7/10. a speedy and concise film about Rocinha favela, which seems to have become recently a touristic attraction for foreigners, who seek to capture the real essence of Brazil.

2. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

Artistically it is not creative yet it suggests some important questions on the changing trends of tourism. One question is that to what extent can visiting and taking pictures of these slums be accepted as a "real" contact with the authentic culture and local people?

3. Leonardo Gelio's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

As a carioca i can say that the short is weak in his way of portraying the absurd that the practice of tourism tours in favelas are.

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

As chaotic as the favelas themselves. It doesn't seem to have any structure - just random footage and a couple of short "interviews". Ironically enough, it doesn't explore or explain the nature of these places any deeper than a typical tourist experience would give... Actually, I am not even sure if the document is about the favelas or the tourists.

5. Jeroen Berndsen's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

Artistically it may not be very impressive, but as a documentary short it does give one pause about our own gaze on holiday, and how it may be perceived by locals. Tourism can be a strange phenomenon.

6. chloe's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

I visited this very favela with a charity. This film is quite representative of the debates going on (except interviewing Scott the Project Favela founder- he is such a fraud and talks ****). the subtitles are kinda dodgy but you get the gist. Having been there in person, it's a good on the ground perspective. And yes it is swarming with gringos and it's really embarrassing.

7. The Accidental Film Club (Paul)'s rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

Really could have said so much more. Nice enough, though. Some cool shots and some charming characters featured but... Bedad... Tell us what you REALLY think, director. Come on, don't be shy!

8. Gisela's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

I liked the fact that the director showed different points of view about this complex phenomenon. But what I realized with this documentary is that in this case concept of tourism is nothing but to sell ''authenticity'' which is used partially as a facade that hides the reality of living day to day in a Favela.

9. nica's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

The closing text basically explains it all. I wish the filmmakers were actually harsher on those so-called tourists, who treat the favela like interactive museum pieces, except they're also psychologically affecting the people in these communities. The kids may have fun, but how does this affect what they think of themselves as they grow up? The short is a great discussion starter.

10. Spook's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

Yeah, getting to know the real Brazilians by taking photos of their dire living conditions. Spoiled twats.

11. captainfez's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

12. martian's rating of the film Gringo on the Slum

Unrepresentative sample of impressions of gringo tourism in favelas of Rio. Not much gained by watching it.