1. Nick Potter's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Chazelle lets out a whole lot of flair in this one that I didn't pick up on the first time. The two big highlights are the tap dance battle (and subsequent whip pan from trumpet to tap) and then obviously Boy In The Park, a truly magnificent sequence. There's a LOT of La La Land here as well. This. My. Boy.

2. cineholic's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

2.5/10. This film identifies an early style (or at least an obsession) for Chazelle. However, the black and white plus inexplicable musical numbers comes off as twee and occasionally insufferable. Unfortunately, Chazelle here uses a fairly shallow, unaffecting romance as a vehicle for a few musical numbers. To his credit though, the diner dance sequence is a delightful little bit, definitely the film's highlight.

3. MGH's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

It's perfect. So much better than La La Land.

4. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

French New Wave meets New York and Jazz. Oddly, it works. New York is always transcendent in black and white. When the cast breaks into song and dance in the middle of a naturalistic scenario it pretty much drew me into its purely romantic musical whimsy. I may actually give ‘La La Land’ a chance, although I’ve been skeptical and avoided it until now. Curious to see this approach in a big Hollywood production.

5. Loz Loory's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Hesitant to watch this as I did not enjoy CGI-ridden, overly glossy, whitewashed "La La Land." Happy to learn that this original film is filled with idiosyncratic and diverse actors (not an anorexic star in sight), including actual musicians. The tap dancing numbers are wonderful. So exquisite compared with Stone & Gosling lumbering about in an unintentional parody of good dancing. Why, Hollywood, why?

6. David Perez's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

No stars. Glee for hipsters.

7. Zachary's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

I saw the film La La Land in the theaters and was thrilled it was not some boring musical. I had to admit, the singing and performances were breathtaking. This film is better than the one that came after. If I had the complete photograph and the aspect and the ratio of the negative, my opinion is to have greater certainty as to the number of stars.

8. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Set in a heightened musical and whimsical world of jass and washed black and white. The film does not focus on narrative nor should it. Scene to scene the characters grow naturally and become more human for the audience. The play of music and sound is purposeful and does not take the easy route as so many musicals do. Ahead of its time it feels hipsterian in all the right ways. It is a perfectly small charming film.

9. Corey's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Felt like a practice for La La Land. The music was fun, the movie was kind of boring.

10. Joshua Paolino's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

For a first film (and a student thesis), this is brilliant. Has a definite Cassavetes influence. In many ways, I dug this far more than La La Land, as it felt (IMO) so organic at times. Good call, MUBI.

11. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Charming, if incoherent, musical musings.

12. mikong's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

fun incessant panning, tap dance, jazz he would later hollywoodize in la la land. at least chazelle hasn't overdone his shit here

13. novanindro's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

chazelle and i are on the same cassavetes bandwagon we do love shadows

14. Rodrigo Morais's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

15. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

I was hoping for something better. Maybe I need to watch it again.

16. Will Thede's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

16mm black-and-white musical magic. The diner dance sequence is delightful. I've only seen the previews for Chazelle's 'La La Land' but I can already tell there are seeds of that film in this earlier one.

17. Polyglot's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Instantly fell in love with Desiree Garcia tap dancing in the restaurant. ♥♥

18. Mike Spence's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

19. curmudgeon pudding's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

I'm probably of a minority who would've enjoyed this played as straight realism. The sensibilities brought to the fore are very oil and water, and the film's non-realism influences are sloppily executed and phony.

20. Matt Richards's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

About as independent as it gets. Black & white, musical, arty, mummblecore meets Goddard. Tap dancing and sublime, subtle performances. The camera work is perfectly matched to the action. Fresh. 4 stars

21. Matt Kilgore's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

You never hear anyone blasting John Coltrane or... some Charlie Parker

22. Kyle Lewis's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

A nice Cinema-Verite style and 1 really well choreographed music sequence make it one of the more enjoyable indies in a while.

23. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

This 16 mm, black and white musical about a young couple's dissolution and reunion is something wholly magical and keenly in tune with the beats and rhythms of NYC. Combines Jazz, French New Wave, and old Hollywood musicals into a vibrant and lively romance brimming with joy.

24. toeachiscinema's rating of the film Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench

Decent hommage to the French New Wave and 30s Hollywood. Sort of the perfect rip off.