1. Adam's rating of the film Halloween

I feel like a revisionist for not really enjoying Halloween on my first viewing, but I just can't help but think it only 'works' in a certain context. If this or a modern horror movie were compared in a cultural vacuum, I don't know if this would stand up to the test.

2. chazell's rating of the film Halloween

3. sabrina's rating of the film Halloween

Dam wut a classic slasher, the cinematography is great! That deep focus, sheesh.

4. Catarina Silva's rating of the film Halloween

I've come to terms with the fact that john carpenter's work is not for me

5. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Halloween

Thrilling. Effective. Simple. CarpenterĀ“s widescreen compositions are essential to the unique atmosphere he creates. This is the work of a very self-assured master. The only thing that really bothers me is the weakly explained fact, that Michael can drive a car!

6. C'est Bastien's rating of the film Halloween

7. Diogo Pires's rating of the film Halloween

with the right rhythm, you can get a great horror movie. just as it happens with many Hitchcocks, it's all about rhythm and the psychological (the character's drama) enforcing the suspense. the claustrophobic shots, shadows and soundtrack complete the recipe.

8. William's rating of the film Halloween

"I hate a guy with a car and no sense of humor." Nancy "Loomis" Kyes is something else.

9. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Halloween

my father grew up in south pasadena. when they finally tore down and reconstructed the michael myers house, decades after he'd left, I asked him what he thought. he told me he was physically relieved to hear it, the movie had haunted him and the community so totally.

10. enkii__bilal's rating of the film Halloween

One of the first Carpenter's movies proves his incredible talent for horror genre.

11. Nick Benson's rating of the film Halloween

4 for the film, but gotta have 1 more for it being the first to do all this

12. Andre's rating of the film Halloween

Still the most visually elegant and thematically pure film about teenager's getting sliced and diced ever made.

13. Tyler Wright's rating of the film Halloween

There's no question as to why this film became such a large influence to the horror genre.

14. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Halloween

A superbly modulated exercise in controlled terror that increases the tension with economic aplomb. It's rather sullied in comparison by the flood of derivatives that followed, but if one can stand back and see this for the original milestone that it is, then you're looking at a masterpiece of its genre (one it can be argued it created in modern cinema).

15. Joel's rating of the film Halloween

Perhaps a little simpler than I was expecting for having seen it outside of it's prime but it is still a deeply satisfying start to the pop-slasher craze. Lots of minimal set ups and some really iconic moments. Worth it's palce in Horror history.

16. andretz's rating of the film Halloween

17. Rafael Fonseca's rating of the film Halloween

Like a plague befalling Egypt, a wind carrying death that flies away(the total, raspy breath), this boogeyman is unnoticed and unrelentless. Not a "scary" movie: a siege. The wide open day sequence is already a game changer 10 mins in. An instant later, "this night, inhumanly patient, no reason, no conscience, no understanding(...)". To oppose him: the sunny youth. The result is surpisingly... dream-pop.

18. wiwitaek's rating of the film Halloween

Too much Dario Argento in a movie.

19. Alexandrra's rating of the film Halloween

20. Diego Ruscitto's rating of the film Halloween

21. ionu's rating of the film Halloween

Perfect direction, but unsatisfying, because it delves into horror tropes (gotta give it the credit, cause it is the first, though)

22. le Gars's rating of the film Halloween

23. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Halloween

24. VivianDarkbloom's rating of the film Halloween

the slasher classic that inspired so many horror films. i've watched classics and modern horror but the movie still scared me a lot