1. matelot's rating of the film Hamlet

2. Chris_Parker's rating of the film Hamlet

The film that does justice to Shakespeare's masterpiece. Shot in black-and-white ‘Scope, in dank interiors and seaside exteriors every bit as atmospheric as those in Orson Welles’s Othello, this highly political and imaginative interpretation of Hamlet is a poem of light and sound.

3. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film Hamlet

Inevitable cuts make it sometimes more directionless than it should be, but fine performances, scenery. Some great ideas: Ophelia's dancing, etc.

4. Lord_Beria's rating of the film Hamlet

Hardcore enough. Could be less theatrical even for Shakespeare

5. mgaspa's rating of the film Hamlet

La France avant de Mai 68. Un film tès sensible plein de references filosofiques que se tient bien a cote des premiers fils de Rohmer. J'ai apprecies beaucoup la description detailee de l'environement de pecheurs et ses families.Je l'ai aime beaucoup

6. nein's rating of the film Hamlet

Dark, fairly romantic adaptation of Shakespeare's play. Kozintsev focuses mostly on themas of death and madness and it's a good thing to do. These are things that make 'Hamlet' so brilliant play. And the King's epiphany? I'm speechless.

7. My Paredros's rating of the film Hamlet

Also contains the most effective ghost scene. Make's Branagh's look like a farce. Good for a study of high style according to east v. west europe.

8. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Hamlet

The Facets DVD edition has terrible subtitles.

9. Beatrice K.'s rating of the film Hamlet

Why can't I spend my whole life watching and re-watching this?

10. Sneerwell's rating of the film Hamlet

Smoktunovsky, though far from being so charming as Laurence Olivier, still is the best Hamlet. The shooting is extraordinary and perfectly fits the dismal and morbid atmosphere of the play.

11. Dave's rating of the film Hamlet

Possibly the best Shakespeare film adaptation I have seen...the only one that comes to mind as perhaps topping it is Branagh's Henry V.