1. Myles's rating of the film Hamlet

Some of the weirdest casting choices and most tone-deaf Shakespeare readings I've encountered. But this is an ambitious piece of filmmaking that deserve its due.

2. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Hamlet

Kenneth Branagh transcends his physicality to somehow rival Olivier and create balls to the wall Shakespeare. Absolutely blew my mind as a teenager. It takes me through the emotional ringer every time I watch it.

3. semilunar_valve's rating of the film Hamlet

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Hamlet

Bold and brash, epic and vast, Branagh’s Hamlet is a visual and dramatic spectacle of great proportions. Shakespeare’s play is given the kind of scale that it’s large encompassing story deserves, and the performances are given the right kind of grandiose dramatic weight and powerful emotion that evokes the world of grand gesture and theatrics while making it also truthful and heartfelt.

5. Howard Orr's rating of the film Hamlet

Kenneth Branagh goes "full King Ludwig" in not only the sumptuous, fairytale art direction but also in sheer scale, length and melodramatic brio. "Hamlet" is a full-on tragedy, full of the bravura as well as the genius of Shakespeare, and Branagh handles it as such.

6. pluviosity's rating of the film Hamlet

maybe it's my too high of expectation, but I just have to be highly disagree if someone said this is the best of Shakespeare adaptation, moreover the best of Kenneth Branagh. *shrugs*

7. Deniz Ipek's rating of the film Hamlet

My favorite Hamlet. Saw the 4 hours long version twice on big screen back in the day. Great adaptation. Daring. Best Hamlet by far.

8. Sophia Park's rating of the film Hamlet

"Shakespare adaptations? Yawn." WELL THIS WAS REALLY GOOD

9. Publius's rating of the film Hamlet

A film with serious balls. Balls to adapt a Shakespeare play in its entirety, and balls to cast Charlton Heston in a bit-part. Fantastic.

10. Adam Z's rating of the film Hamlet

Brilliant! A definitive cinematic take on Hamlet. Branagh rings out the tragedy, humour, sadness and thrill of the play, which is obviously one of THE great works of art, on a gorgeous visual tapestry. No wonder stuffy Shakespeare scholars prefer the dry, stupid, easily pinned-down Olivier version, with its silly Oedipal reading of the play. Branagh embraces Shakespeare, with all its indeterminacy and brilliance.

11. Zach Closs's rating of the film Hamlet

While melodramatic and a little too much at times, Branagh's "Hamlet" is so visually and dramatically lush for the majority of its barely noticeable four-hour run-time that it's a hard film to critique. Perfect casting, all the way around.

12. Nancy's rating of the film Hamlet

robin williams as osric is delicious

13. Preben R. Torgalsbøen's rating of the film Hamlet

It's one of those few films that I find rather boring, but still very fascinating.

14. James Frazier's rating of the film Hamlet

My Shakespeare professor held this up as about the worst adaptation possible of "Hamlet." He would likely be aghast at my view, which is essentially the exact opposite. Branagh ambitiously takes on the entire thing, leaving out nothing, successfully capturing the play's intensity, presenting it as a regal, grand spectacle, energetic and unapologetically forceful.

15. Tigrão's rating of the film Hamlet

unbelievably magnificent movie

16. HeadGEAR's rating of the film Hamlet

17. Iliana Quintanilla's rating of the film Hamlet

Ego trip,yes what can be expected? Anyone who dares play tragedy's poster boy must be someone with an overblown sense of self, yet brave to embark on such a journey.Kate Winslet as Ophelia couldn't simply compare to Helena Bonham Carter's, but all in all this film is a purer portrayal of Shakespeare's play.Better than the other incarnations I have seen in modern times,other than Jude Law's Broadway production.

18. Spencer Draper's rating of the film Hamlet

I just couldn't believe someone did this. It made Shakespeare breathe and is in 70mm. Who cares if it has some problems-the movie is a four hour ride.

19. Roscoe's rating of the film Hamlet

Overblown, overproduced, overacted, a shameless ego trip for Branagh who is wiped off the screen by the likes of Kate Winslet and Julie Christie. Stunt Cameos from Billy Crystal, Jack Lemmon and Robin Williams add zero to the proceedings. The climactic fight scene is ridiculous.

20. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film Hamlet

The fastest 4 hour film I have ever watched. Wonderful!

21. Andhika Eka Buana's rating of the film Hamlet

One of the best adaptation of Hamlet ever grace on screen. Thanks to superb writing of Branagh, that faithfully transformed every single dialogue. And the pace, for a 4 hours movie, are just simply incredibly tight, without any single unnecessary scene, in my opinion