1. redux's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Misleading appearances are a core Leigh theme, and he wouldn't lower himself to 'celebrate' something as trivial as a positive mindset. Poppy is a captive of her own act, supposedly of balance, just another case of Dickensian deformation in essence. Her constant verbal flamenco points towards a state of empty self-assertion that likens her more to the madman stuck in conjunctions than her own boyfriend.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Growing up is realizing that Sally Hawkins’s Poppy isn’t insufferable but aspirational. Imagine caring so wholly.

3. a Smith's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

This is something that happens.

4. Eric Ortiz García's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

5. McOpinionated's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

BRILLIANT PERFORMANCE and a nippy-sweetie script in classic mike leigh style. I am not sure if this is like an English Amelie or not but that gave me something to compare parts of it against.

6. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Who else but Mike Leigh could've made such a perfect Anti-Amelie. Sure, the first 20 minutes of this overly-well-meaning quirkopath annoyed the fck out of me but then, just like she does with everyone she meets, Poppy got under my skin and melted my heart.

7. savannah k leit's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Mike Leigh is the master of improvisation and the master of breaking Sally Hawkins out of her shell. You would never guess that in this film. Sally's character Poppy is always smiling, always optimistic, and always giggling (much to the annoyance of pessimists around her). In interviews, Sally is incredibly shy and awkward. This film marks as a reminder of Sally's status as one of the best actors of our generation.

8. ammar's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

9. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

It's another one of those deals where the movie expends half of its runtime before getting to its conflict. But once it does, the movie is really engaging for the very real challenges it puts to the limits of Poppy's control. Poppy, far from feeling twee or manic pixie, feels emotionally real, relatable, and ultimately winds up sobered by the world around her.

10. Didier Pigeon-Perreault's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

11. inês roxo's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Não o consegui acabar. Só depois reparei que era de Mike Leigh. Fiquei ainda mais desapontada.

12. Milly Hampton's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

the outfits! the lipgloss keychain on the cellphone!

13. Ronja's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

2,5 Poppy is really annoying... I loved the scenes with the driving teacher though and the overall naturalistic touch of the film. but there's something missing here, leigh has done much better films.

14. uenus's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

me cuesta mucho tomarla en serio cuando el dir. suele elegir personajes principales con ese tipo de voces, insoportable

15. lowplacelikehome's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

16. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

A pesar de la notable interpretación de Sally Hawkins, el personaje de Poppy se hace insoportable por su optimismo inquebrantable. Algunas escenas resultan perfectamente prescindibles (el encuentro azaroso con un vagabundo o la visita a la hermana embarazada) Lo mejor de la película es la relación de la protagonista con el instructor de manejo, desempeñado magistralmente por Eddie Marsan.

17. Malt Frisky's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

There's not really a plot to talk about. The main focus seems to be with Poppy and here driving instructor being a clean cut example of an optimist and pessimist at both ends of the spectrum and also the films most memorable and well acted moments. Aside from that the film doesn't really offer much else, we follow Poppy about with her family and work life with an ever present up beat look on life and that's it.

18. naokoken's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Music by Gary Yerson worked well. Loved the shot compositions. Really enjoyed the character study of Poppy and those around her, even when she got on my nerves at times. A person who at the core of their being is just happy.

19. Mehran.E's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

2.5 https://letterboxd.com/mehran/film/happy-go-lucky/

20. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

The cynicism of the comments here are disheartening: "narcissist," "embodiment of liberal convictions," "oblivious"—which is a sad commentary on our arrogant assumptions about freedom. Despite unanswered questions and reckless daring, Poppy is, without doubt, a hero: a warrior angel with her feet on the ground, an undiluted force of nature, her transcendent heart shooting across the sky.

21. Myles's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

A minor delight. Like a Zadie Smith novel or a plate of macarons. Enraha! Enraha!

22. Nicole Smith's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Listening to her giggle incessantly was miserable to watch.

23. Omus's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

It doesn't really go anywhere, but it's still a pleasant ride.

24. güneycan's rating of the film Happy-Go-Lucky

Maybe it isn't intended so but I cannot stop thinking that Poppy is the embodiment of our liberal convictions and the movie is a bitter critique of it. She never intervenes, never confronts with others. She takes people light, handles them well let them be as they are at a distance; she has her secure base to retreat. But when somebody without a base demands to be taken seriously, she can be brutally ignorant.