1. mamafih's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

2. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

apart from its visuality, there is no sense of curiosity or multi layered event that can establish a followup mechanism .It started and ended ...bela tarr medieval with more simple dialogues.I watched every hour of it on a different day.

3. kiptok's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

beautiful in its gross way. reminded of Werckmeister Harmonies the way it uses music as the broadest coherent signifier for a world. it can be so uncanny and cool sometimes; or heavy-handed w/ its devices in ways that werckmeister did better with a subdued touch. a slight dissonance is as unsettling. so many good details in this: strange games, unexplained icons, masked corpses pinned to walls in the background etc.

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

5. Carlos de las Heras's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Un sueño bizarro y visceral, poesía visual.

6. Corriel's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Good, very stylish but long and confusing. I much preferred the 1989 version that I had seen before. (2.5)

7. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

8. Larry Barnard's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Not sure how to describe this film. Tarkovsky meets Satyricon? I live on the wet coast of Canada and I've never seen so much mud in my life. And yet, some of the best cinematography I've ever had the pleasure to behold. Just don't ask me what this film is about because I haven't got a clue.

9. gebackenemaus's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

M A S T E R P I E C E. This movie is a sickening deep view on mankind's cultural evolution, German directed this masterpiece in a way no one else could have done, it looks like H.Bosch directed it. The acting is coreographed to the perfection, the set design is incredibly detailed.

10. Rikard Westeman's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

After three hours you feel like you've trudged through the mud, shit, spit and blood with all the characters in the film. Great! 15 minutes in I certainly had misgivings, but I was dragged along and almost hypnotized by the sheer audacity of German's vision. The "plot" is baffling, but it doesn't matter? Maybe. 24 hours later I'm still thinking about it and the images are stuck in my mind. Brilliant (possibly...).

11. DrFirestone's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

The artistic direction is wonderful, with striking black&white cinematography, the set design and details are spectacular. The film is built around contrasting elements: a sci-fi set in the Middle Ages, it's beautiful and repulsive at the same time. There doesn't seem to be a purpose though, similar theme and scenes repeated over and over again, which is a considerable letdown. Perhaps I am missing something here...

12. Cassidy Bell's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Definitely one of the more original film's I've seen--really weird and filthy as hell. It's painful to watch but impossible to look away. Four stars for the ambition brought to this project alone.

13. Daniel Hjorth's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

14. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

The cinematography was nice; some elements of alienation were creative and maybe the film is worth watching especially for its expressive quality. However, personally, I find the film "hard to watch". I watched it till the end; yet it was one of the most grotesque cinematic experiences for me.

15. zoerose's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Reinventing the sci-fi genre, Aleksei German sets his story on a planet that is not scientifically or culturally advanced but on the contrary; people live in a situation, resembling Earth's Middle Ages. "Hard to be a God", reimagines space trips as a process that doesn't open a window to the future but to the past, turning the future into a had-been; History. That being said, the movie is quite repulsive.

16. Xesus Duarte Patiño Rumbo's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Ciber-punk meets ultra dark ages of an ending civilization.

17. James Mackin's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Someone should write an interesting paper comparing and contrasting Star Trek's and the Noon Universe's handling of species-to-species contact and interaction. That said, while I found this film very interesting, it's very hard to watch it. That said, Silence was harder to watch.

18. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

I think all that poop, filth and brutality can be beautiful to look at because of the distance, the black and white, the absurdist elements that remind us it's only real on the screen, in the fictional planet in someone else's fantasy where it's all natural and there's no need to judge or fear what we see. I'm really glad I saw this. I'm also glad movies are just "sight and sound", and not "sight, sound, and scent".

19. Kadjavsi's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Hypnotizing, there's something about it that leaves you staggered. Quite special, a must see

20. Unprofessional's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

This film is a visual festival of spitting, puking, shitting, pushing each other into the mud and other behavior that makes no bloody sense. It would be fine, if the film aimed at something, anything. If there was a story to tell, truth to show, whatever. But there is no point of this film. So pick a random place and enjoy body fluids and mud for 10 minutes. The rest of the film is the same. And I mean THE SAME.

21. McOpinionated's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Bonkers masterpiece. Watching a chunk might be as good as watching the whole thing, but the cumulative effect of the ~3 hour total is unmistakable. I just wondered if it was rather too escapist and entertaining, given the news of the drowned and bombed and defenestrated and tortured from around the mediterranean.

22. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Tom Waits' fetid cheese dream. I'm not convinced there was a screen. I finished watching and my bed reeked. Those of us still alive in twenty years after the ice caps have melted and we're all shitting ourselves up the the necks in mud should learn from Don Rumata's braggadocio. Pom Pom Pom.

23. dannyjp1981's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Three hours of shit, piss, phlegm, blood and semen. It was an experience. If this sounds reductive, it's only because I was expecting something more from the intriguing premise. Alas I found the narrative incoherent and the characters are all so vile that I was never gripped (though I was never bored either). On a technical, physical and atmospheric level, the film is undoubtedly a huge success.

24. msmichel's rating of the film Hard to Be a God

Aleksei German's final attack on totalitarianism is a film easy to admire but very difficult to like. The film progresses dragging the viewer deeper and deeper into the human cesspool created depicting its world as one of misery, bodily fluids, despair and Fellinieque grotesques. Its' eventual grand guignol climax unfortunately nears Pythonesque parody but fascinates all the more.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7