1. bryanvmh's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Tense documentary musical

2. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Harlan County USA

What a massive undertaking. The banal realities of political action are on display, and it is more interesting than you'd think to hear people talking about what time they are going to get up in the morning. And the level of sheer villainy disgusts me - how quickly will those who actively sabotage attempts at justice will descend into the crowd? Women's labor is famously a focal point.

3. Steve G.'s rating of the film Harlan County USA

Imagine thinking coal dust doesn't cause black lung.

4. Ethan's rating of the film Harlan County USA

This is one of the most powerful documentaries ever made. It perfectly documents the miner's struggle with an uncompromising eye that really puts you right in the center of this very real struggle that in a lot of ways is still very relevant today, not just for miners but for everybody in the working class community.

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Harlan County USA

I'm weak and I have soft hands.

6. James Mackin's rating of the film Harlan County USA

A powerful example of the usage of the camera in politics.

7. msmichel's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Kopple's debut documentary feature is simply essential American cinema. The struggle of the everyman in getting a fair wage and fair treatment while the conglomerates use the manipulated system and unlawful means equally to discount them; and a corrupt media that ignored the real situation. Kopple stumbled into the situation and made a powerful document and indictment (against both company and union). Masterpiece.

8. gaffordKINO's rating of the film Harlan County USA

The documentary succeeds in making the viewer feel immersed in the picket line. These aren't just Kentuckians. These are true blood Americans. A documentary that will make you feel both defeated and victorious.

9. Isiah Donté Lee's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Saw a portion of this in class this week... so I'm watching it tomorrow, cant wait!

10. C Chet's rating of the film Harlan County USA

So emotional. Such a great documentary. I was shocked by how well spoken everybody was. Speeches by candidates, company officials, miners and there families. No 'ummm's' like you would see on the news today. The film looks so great too.

11. Bijoux Alexanderplatz's rating of the film Harlan County USA

My papaw was a coal miner in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, coming home to a wife, seven kids and farm work. I remember hearing stories about union issues and the often terrifying work conditions. All these things made this film very personal to me and it earned a rating of 5 stars; however, without the personal connections I might give it four. Definitely a film I'll keep thinking about.

12. nurrrit's rating of the film Harlan County USA

13. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Harlan County USA

I feel like I know so much about coal mining politics now! Very moving, well made documentary. Would have loved it if it didn't drag its ass at the end.

14. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Occasionally threatens to descend into a movie about assholes butting heads, but never quite falls into that trap and ultimately emerges as a powerful document of conflicts of power and opportunity at many levels. I felt claustrophobic and endangered just watching some of the footage shot in the mines. I think actually descending into these shafts would have been psychically crippling. I can't even imagine doing it.

15. Neuron's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Miner: Is your job real dangerous though? Officer: Look at me, this is what I do. It's a lot of bullshit.

16. The Macho King's rating of the film Harlan County USA

A Eye opening doc,what's captured in this film sould be seen by any person remotely interested in documentaries or any 1 who doesn't know what real labor and hardship is.it really immerses you in there life and culture,there struggle becomes your struggle.

17. rita amal's rating of the film Harlan County USA

one of the best documentaries. ever.

18. Subterranean Cinema's rating of the film Harlan County USA

The documentary parts are very interesting, however the only thing "haunting" about the soundtrack music is that the viewer is "haunted" by the incessant playing of yet another weepy hillbilly trailer trash ballad every few minutes, to the point that it almost becomes parodic. After about the 15th time that the drama was interrupted by some drawling cracker wailing thru her nose, I started rooting for the scabs.

19. Lancaster Dodd's rating of the film Harlan County USA

Heartbreaking, cautionary, and still very relevant.

20. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film Harlan County USA

30 minutes in, I realized I was watching a Great American Movie. Inspiring, harrowing, moving. But beware: subtitles are a MUST.

21. Saturday's rating of the film Harlan County USA

22. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Harlan County USA

These coal miners fight against the all powerful greed and corruption of Corporate America makes A director's struggle to get a friggin boat over a mountain pale in comparison. This is a great doc. Should be watched by every man woman and child. Loved the old coal miner songs too