1. P D Dawson's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

A wonderful short documentary that shows an artist, Harry Smith, and his eccentric living space. Boxes and boxes of rarities that one can't help but think must have inspired art, as in art inspiring other art. The only downside is that this is too short to mean anything or to further expand on what was going on. Succinct yet left me wanting more.

2. cinematiceye's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Amazing short film/documentary about Harry Smith. Before watching the shirt film I remember hearing some things about Smith but I never watched any of his films and now I’m interested in seeing as much as I can of his filmography.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Do people like Harry Smith even exist anymore? Even if they do our acceptance of the eccentric has become nonexistent, certainly our support of it has, we’d rather they lived in the streets pushing shopping carts and collecting bottles. We’d rather they didn’t exist at all.A fascinating time capsule. I was glad to hear that his collections found homes.

4. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

I'm not very well versed in beats so this was a very welcome introduction to a fascinating man.

5. William R Clark's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

How do you rate documentary shorts? Anyway, Smith's own films exemplify his collector's whimsy and this lovely voiceover/home video ushers the boho-centric NYC itinerant fetish right into its torn red velvet seat. Essence of kooky cool. Hipsterdom was an archivist's game at the twilight of modernity. This write up getting really pretentious.

6. sahandmohajer's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

7. Dean Simons's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Conceptually interesting but rather dull

8. Katherine Lo's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

A shitty situation made lighthearted - Harry Smith is obviously so devoted to his other priorities in life over his own living situation which is what made him so great. He's obsessed - look at his collection! It's a short but fascinating glimpse of a character.

9. G x's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Somewhat ignorantly, I am not too familiar with the work of Harry Smith, so this was a slight but mildly interesting curio for me.

10. sophie's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

11. Loz Loory's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

An important cultural artifact. Good to know Harry went on to a stint at Naropa. That would have been relatively luxurious compared to the Breslin Hotel.

12. Jason's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Portrait of a Legend, Evicted. Robert Frank's wee Harry Smith morsel is hibernal impressionism and something like a gallant gesture. Smith is a 20th century original. An artist, a prodigious archivist, and, as he would have it, a philosopher. In temperament: a curmudgeon to rival even Frank himself. Like Smith, Frank is something of an archivist, generally on the outside looking in ... or inside looking further in.

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Any subject that involves the mythical Harry Smith is at least essential.

14. Juan Javier's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

15. hendrik's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

16. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

17. bfergusonwpg's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Greatest artiste-hoarder ever!

18. ejonline's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

I like some Robert Frank photographs. I have the Harry Smith anthology of American Folk music and it is great. I suppose if you needed to do a deep dive into their careers this would be helpful, but beyond that I don't see the point. When Ginsburg shows up it reminds me how tired I am of celebrations of the Beat Generation, especially by those directly connected to it. Enough.

19. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Most interesting. And touching. These are images of an artist who is totally out of synch with the camera that films him. The opposite of showmanship. A time capsule indeed.

20. Michael Rozek's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Haunting in its brevity. Seeing it, you come away feeling you've known--and even understood--Smith your whole life...

21. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Robert Frank seeks truth in his work and here he finds truth in depicting his friend Harry Smith, offering us a brief, but detailed look at who he was.

22. raggiodisole's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Intriguing but filmically bland, significant 20th American artists, etc, that happen to be in front of the camera, yet is it a tiny window into transience?

23. mark's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Such a narrow scope. There must be more footage, images, recordings out there. Got more from Wikipedia. I want to know, and see, more.

24. Tom Hemingway's rating of the film Harry Smith at the Breslin Hotel

Captures the griminess and cold brutality of a New York City winter in the mid 1980s, and an artist who is preoccupied enough to not give a damn. Bonus points for a contextualising voiceover from the great Allen Ginsberg.