1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

(5) I also watched the 1968 re-edit with the Jazz score and Burroughs narration, and as much as I like WSB I'd give it just 3/5 stars. It feels to me like a disappointing reduction of the original, but I understand it's perhaps more palatable for people who struggle with silent film, and at least they'll get to see Christensen's amazing visuals.

2. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Amazing film visually, and also a fascinating look into superstition and the (ignorant) minds of the past. No other silent film quite like it as it's a non saratical take on witchcraft from nearly a 100 years ago.

3. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

The Curate's Egg supreme: reactionary thrill-seeking meets a plea of kinds for toleration and understanding. At any measure it's a fabulously textured encyclopaedia for those who wish such a thing in matters of witchcraft with its brilliantly realised vignettes and striking images. Cinema as cinema, that is almost purely the visual image.

4. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Artículo ("Kane3"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/haxan-benjamin-christensen/

5. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

3-4. It's a plea for empathy for the mentally ill, a critique of religious hypocrisy, and a condemnation of ageism and sexism. It's a series of educational visuals and simulated witch vignettes centered around one longer story about an old woman tortured into confessing to witchcraft. Obviously parts are dated (I'm not sure hysteria covers everything as an explanation for witch phenomena), but it remains striking.

6. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Not bad but dated. Today, it is rather hip to be a witch (unfortunately). Someone should make a sequel about that.

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Une oeuvre exceptionnelle, unique dans l'histoire du cinéma ! www.cinefiches.com

8. afuchs's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

I mark this as disturbing because of the flickering intertitles!

9. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

10. Joel's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Somehow darkly funny and yet quite frightening, aided by all the limitations of silent era cinema, Haxan fascinates and then haunts in the memory. The story arc is confusing and what starts as a segmented documentary gives way to a shorter drama of the accused witch. Anyway you see it it's wildly inventive and thoroughly unforgettable.

11. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Not quite sure what to make of this movie.

12. Balthaz21's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

13. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

14. josh scam's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

a schizoid film if there ever was one

15. Karoline Hestisengen's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Saw it with Ugress live performance. One of the most overwhelming film experiences ever!

16. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

One of the most effective silent films I've ever seen, and notoriously underrated. Does it really dismiss spirituality away with reason in its final chapter? Or does the whole film basically enchant its audience anyway? ~ It's one circular joke that can be viewed many times with just as many differing interpretations.

17. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Reminds me that there is always truth behind mystery, and that you will find your own face in the outmost depths of your greatest fears. So, let us spend our time and energy searching in obscurity, so we can unveil a bit more of that unlimited tenderness!

18. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Both dead-pan droll and infected with the same hysterical sensationalism it purports to challenge! The visual fidelity to Medieval woodcuts works wonders... and when it's not faux-stuffy it's outright salacious! A shame to see the meta aspects cut from the 1960s re-release since they genuinely get under the skin... perhaps even more so now that the film is old and alien.

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Although being a silent horror film, with it pretty much being unavoidable that some of the scares would now be quite less effective and often just funny, there is still more than enough macabre imagery to be surprisingly effective. Images of erratically moving deranged nuns losing their shit and horrifyingly detailed demons are enough to potentially cause night terrors.

21. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Interesting from a historical point of view, but not exactly entertaining.

22. Aydin KhaliliK's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

It was the very smart of Christensen to relate the hysteria to witchcraft and more than this to mock the psychiatric biopolitics of his time (and ours too).

23. Sarah Fonseca's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages

Saw this at Morbid Anatomy in Brooklyn with an audience. Loved the original question posed and how it brought the film full-circle. And the cunning linguist of a devil! Churning butter, indeed.

24. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages