1. steveoh's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Longest 80 minutes of my life. Well shot though.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Un excellent et percutant film noir américain qui cumule au superlatif, deux qualités essentielles et nécessaires pour ce genre de production : une vision quasi documentaire du milieu de la police dans l'environnement d'une enquête judiciaire et une interprétation remarquable des principaux acteurs, en particulier celle de Richard Basehart, dans un rôle difficile. www.cinefiches.com

3. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Richard Basehart gives a remarkable performance and Anthony Mann's contribution is noteworthy.

4. João Eça's rating of the film He Walked by Night

some parts are quite good, but it lacks the killer psychology

5. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Basehart cast against type superbly. Alton's cinematography beautifully moody and expressive, as usual. Solid noir. I guess Anthony Mann directed without being credited. I would love to know the story behind that.

6. Ian Whaley's rating of the film He Walked by Night

The scene where Morgan pulls a bullet from his torso is worth my 5 stars by itself.

7. ArmandS's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Good police procedural/noir styled film. Richard Basehart makes a compelling villain, doing it with a simplicity of sneers, smarts and ruthlessness. Solid suspense and cinematography.

8. mpho3's rating of the film He Walked by Night

"The work of a police, like that of a woman, is never done." Baseheart is on fire here. Nice cinematography. Best moments include the "experiment" to piece together the killer's face and the sewer scenes, esp. those gas masks. Creepy! The dog's tip off reminded me of the bird in Le Samouraï. 3.5 stars.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Nice photography, but the characters are one-dimensional in this action/plot driven precursor to Dragnet. Maybe entertaining to those fans, it even has Jack Webb in it. And the names were changed "to protect the innocent." While the cops are hunting the killer, I'm wishing he would murder the narrator.

10. alexyoungen's rating of the film He Walked by Night

Chillingly pessimistic film noir. Richard Basehart's cop killing villain is terrifying and clearly influenced the murderers at the center of the Terminator and No Country For Old Men. Coincidentally, all three of these films include a scene of self-surgery to treat bullet wounds.

11. Ethan's rating of the film He Walked by Night

A nice little film noir that falls into the category of The Naked City and City that Never Sleeps where we have a sub-genre of film noir that plays out like a documentary.

12. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film He Walked by Night

That horrible voiceover apart, the prototypal no-nonsense police procedural. The Indian TV series CID nicked a lot off it. :-P

13. Cineastic's rating of the film He Walked by Night

This is a masterful and incredibly underrated B-noir and it ought to be essential viewing since it basically invented the American police procedural. The cinematography by John Alton is so captivating and some of the best I've seen in a Hollywood film. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the semidocumentary noir, but I still think this film is tragically underrated.

14. film_lies101's rating of the film He Walked by Night

A sharp little number, highly influenced the end sequence of "The Third Man"

15. Dave's rating of the film He Walked by Night

John Alton as DP in a Poverty Row noir...yes please!

16. Daniel S.'s rating of the film He Walked by Night

The film starts like the Fox production directed by William Keighley THE STREET WITH NO NAME, like a docu-drama. Then 60 minutes of so-so police procedures before the superb last 15 minutes in the sewers. Recommended.