1. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

3. несчастный's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

4. José Neves's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

35mm, complete version. What makes me retract a little? The exhibitionism of Zsigmond's cinematography, full of astonishing effects or the character of Hurt doing Shakespeare in the middle of a space created for an epic feat. But it's certainly a rare film in its time, and much more at the present one, for its cinematic dimension bigger than art, for the complexity of mass movements, choreographed by a master camera.

5. Pipim's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Ce film est vraiment un chef d'oeuvre. Il est tellement ambitieux que c'est parfois dur à regarder. Le film a une ampleur et une mélancolie terrible: tout part en fumée et ce feu est absolument magnifique. Passer de paysages magnifiques, où les personnages sont sans cesse en épopée, à des situations politiques et intimes est difficile. J'ai beaucoup de mal avec la durée. Le personnage d'Ella est grandiose!

6. jbizarro's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Clássico incompreendido.

7. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

6.3/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Ll

8. John's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

I've looked hard for the masterpiece, and have yet to find it.

9. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

10. Mauro Pagano's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Vero rinnovo il voto perché è praticamente perfetto

11. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Heaven's Gate is a failure; let's be clear about that. But it is such a grand one that one can't be wowed by it, if one allows oneself to be. The story is thin and the characters thinner; but it's the film making, the film equalent of literarity; the cinematography, editing and pacing made me if not interested, it kept me with the film. It's too long, too convoluted and messy. But that's part of why it's great.

12. speedball's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

the restoration, ultimate version is a great (or the greatest) masterpiece maybe in my personal top 3

13. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

The movie's production, criticism, and relevance can be summed up in my watching this with my Dad, an armchair Western film savant: we finish the dual speeches between Cotten and Hurt, laying out the schizophrenic moralism and issues of integrity underlying the period's American Expansion and responsibility inherent in White Man's Burden, then he pauses the movie. "I did not understand a word of what they just said."

14. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

con l'impressione generale che non farà che lievitare

15. msmichel's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

The film that became superfluous with over indulgence and almost brought down a studio, and auteur studio cinema, plays now as a misunderstood and neglected masterpiece. One can forgive the leaden acting and under scripting for the shear brilliance of the technical filmmaking. Zsigmond's cinematography is breathtaking as is the attention to detail in all things. Cimino's best.

16. Aardsy's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Beautiful, over the top, too long and great.

17. mubianer's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

I think it's about to get overrated since it used to be so underrated. The plot should be worked more with. Stunning cinematography. Favourite scene: When Huppert makes pie for Kristofferson. Somewhere between a 3 and 4, watching a great 35mm print probably made it a 4.

18. Ethan's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

This movie got so much shit when it was released and I don't understand why. This is Michael Cimino's masterpiece, and that's saying a lot about the man who also brought us The Deer Hunter. Epics don't get much better or more beautiful than this one.

19. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

It didn't deserve its fate, but nothing can magick such leaden line-readings (and leaden lines) into a lost masterpiece. Cimino here cannot convincingly evoke the drama, or comedy, or romance, or vivid characters this Fordian epic aspires to. But ask him to film a plume of smoke, or a landscape, or a dance, or a killing, and you're in heaven. Drop him into the silent era, and he may have been one of the greats.

20. Matija's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

weird stuff from Cimino, interesting but more often just slow

21. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

Top Ten countdown – #1 "It's getting dangerous to be poor in this country." The USA's national epic; its own internal heart of darkness. Cimino's obsessively shot and detailed western offers a somber exploration of the ideology of violence that Lady Columbia marched into the West. Unleashing the full potential of film formalism to create a profound melancholic indictment of the failures of "God's chosen nation."

22. Tom Rubendall's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

23. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

3.5 I dream of field... field where I can walk, field where I can work, field where I can eat, field where I can hunger, field where I can decay, field where I can fertilize.

24. William's rating of the film Heaven's Gate

The pacing of this film is really startling: The re appropriation of screen time to reflect atmosphere and environment rather than dramatic beats. Dialogue is essentially negligible; everything is geared toward a physical feeling of place and an understanding of people through ritual.

← Previous 1 3 4