1. Stevie M's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Low resolution, pixelated video with some scenes so dimly lit that they are barely visible... Yet this film stayed in my thoughts for days, even weeks afterwards. I somehow felt such a strong connection with the character of Heremias, and grieved for his loss and sense of isolation, even within his group of travelling companions. Despite the desperation of his situation, his final concern was for another. Genius.

2. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

With a series of 20+ minute long takes and a lack of close ups, Diaz' technique is always self-evident - the act of viewership, trance-like, moves from schadenfreude to synecdoche. Heremias' walkabout is never meant to be personalized - his quest for meaning and personal ennui is actually a vehicle for cultural shame. After eight hours, the final release of that shame is notably potent.

3. zoerose's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

*Possible spoilers* The slow and long unraveling drama that is called life, captured by Lav Diaz in this 8 1/2 hours epic, in a story that is as real as reality itslef. The movie is the story of Heremias, a good-natured, stoic man, who seeks justice for his stolen property and ending, as in another Tarkovskian catharsis, offering himself as a sacrifice to God in order to save an innocent from a horrible fate.

4. Superfrog's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Did not manage to get carried by this one. Gave up after 7 hours after what felt like 6 weeks of people getting violent against a derelict building while being shot by a 4 year old hiding in the bushes.

5. Harrywolf Krstl's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

wow, i made it.. ready for my second lav diaz film!

6. Levi Miah's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Heremias takes himself on a journey to find solitude (the only desire he seems to truly have) only to be confronted repeatedly with the cruelty of not only the corrupt Filipino society - but of the nature of man and nature itself. Heremias' trusty cow pulls him, excrutiatingly over hours, through severe tyhpoons. Eventually and selflessly, Heremias drags himself through the mud for Helena. But it's slightly too long.

7. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

8. FISCHER's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Avec d'insidieuses et souveraines références bibliques, particulièrement à l'endroit du prophète Jérémie, le fascinant cinéaste philippin Lav Diaz déroule et stigmatise en longues plages souvent hypnotiques, les notions de responsabilité et de culpabilité individuelles face à l'incurie et la corruption généralisées des institutions et de leurs représentants, confortées par l'obsédant silence divin. www.cinefiches.com

9. El Mau's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Le sobran muchos minutos...

10. AugusteB's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Sometimes length does not make a film better, it only makes the experience to watch it more intense. And yes I think it was intense to watch this until the end. Some scenes were great and I could enjoy the duration but overall I missed some focus and desire for efficiency.

11. papelli2001@yahoo.gr's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

what s going on with Mubi lately? I ve been a client since some years now and the films you re screening get more and more indifferent.

12. Anton Panettiere's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

A serious case of the emperor's new clothes. I have a high tolerance and appreciation for many long slow-moving films, but this was a complete waste of time in my opinion

13. Jason's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

This is an extremely simple story, elegantly elaborated. We primarily follow a single character on a somnolent trajectory. The fist plot development occurs about and hour-and-a-half into the movie. There are minor scenes and sequences that shine with quiet poignancy. The lengthy hooligan freakout sequence (w/ its indelibly Shakespearean eavesdropping) is something else. Features Lav's own guitar work. It's bananas.

14. Ludovic72's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Le tragique parcours d'Heremias - homme pauvre et naïf mais doté de principes moraux supérieurs, confronté à la méchanceté et à la corruption des hommes dans une société philippine sinistrée - a tout du chemin de croix. Lav Diaz ne ménage pas davantage le spectateur, avec des plans d'une durée parfois exténuante. La déchirante dernière heure du film a des tonalités fortement tarkovskiennes. Eprouvant mais humaniste !

15. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

A very strong film. On the one hand there are beautiful meditative moments, e.g. the shot (between 6 and 8 minutes long) when Heremias leads his cow to the river and carefully washes the animal. But on the other hand there is the provocative passages with the extreme 70 (!) minutes shot showing the young men drinking, smoking, getting more and more aggressive and beating the walls until they are exhausted.

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

17. Scott Barley's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

Perhaps, the most emotionally pregnant Diaz. A truly staggering piece; I can't quite get my head round it just yet.

18. Hazel Orencio's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

19. nietzschicharonsky's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

the first lav diaz film ive watched.

20. Linao Momentaries's rating of the film Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)

For me, the most powerful example of what I think Lav and his work achieves at their best ...