1. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

After Eros, Heroic Purgatory shows Yoshida's mastery once again. This is an experience we can't be prepared to, giving us different perspective to cinema, storytelling and poetry.

2. La quinta luna's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

3. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

4. film_lies101's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

The camera placement/framing/composition is undeniable, it provokes an intense reaction from the viewer. Structurally it's very reminiscent of Grillet, it demands repeated viewings to unpack what it is all about. The score is otherworldly, needs a vinyl reissue. To sum up: THIS IS FILM DAMMIT

5. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

6. Post Ironic's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Yoshida's cinematography is really out-of-this-world spectacular. Allegorical, representative, everything seems to constantly touch upon what is "above" in this film. It makes the very real world the film is shot in, seem something entirely different, some eery and strange world that we don't exist in ourselves. Creatures torn apart and then reassembled as something slightly less (or more) human. Beautiful.

7. Aydin KhaliliK's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

You start as a revolutionary and you end up becoming a lesbian.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Stunning visual poetry with a jingle jangle of the naughty bits.

9. Stevie's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Inexplicably brilliant. Feels more innovative and modern than any film I've seen made this year. Yoshida's visuals are amazing and completely distinctive (it would be easy to guess that Eros Plus Massacre was made by the same person if you weren't aware beforehand).

10. paxy's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

11. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Is it me, or is this film completely inexplicable? Fissuring swiftly into shattered glass, consumed by the most beautiful voids; visually astounding. Sitting here for 30 minutes after viewing, I still have nothing adequate to say...

12. Mellow Dude's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

To paraphrase what Ebert said of Fargo: "This is why I watch movies". Stunning, out-of-this-world cinematic experience.

13. thrym's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

nuberu bagu splashed more powerful and bolder then franch new wave

14. umetani's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

15. daffy's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Liked the weird camera angles used and the nice soundtrack! The re-enactment of similar scenes with different actors was interesting too! The wig looked ridiculous though.

16. Daniel Kasman's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

Defines the term "gnomic", even more so than Yoshida's famously cryptic Eros Plus Massacre and Coupe d'état. Pushes narrative, representational cinema towards an extreme of anti-psychology, anti-melodrama, anti-social context. Geometric space reigns supreme as people become dislocated from themselves, from time, from the world.

17. Scott Barley's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

A film that arguably features some of the most intense and rigorous - and simultaneously - effortlessly succinct mise en scène of Yoshida's career; and naturally, in all of cinema.

18. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

This is the first movie I've seen by Yoshida and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can't say I *enjoyed* it and I can't say I understood it, but I also can't say I didn't like it. I've just never seen anything quite like it. It feels... sterile, the way a doctor's office feels sterile. The compositions and the high contrast photography, it all evokes the air of a world that almost exists, but not quite.

19. Gondo's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

It dosen't matter how many or how much movies you watched in your life, a film by Yoshida will always fell strangley new in everything it does. Same goes of course for this one although i still don't quite know what excaktly it IS I saw here. I really have to give the film and myself a little bit more time to progress everything, otherwise my head will explode.

20. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Heroic Purgatory

An interesting way to break down a person. What they did, do, may have done and may do. Like most of Yoshidas work, you begin watching it taken back by the unusual (yet spectacular) cinematography, then as the film goes on it feels so normal. Straight after I watched this I saw a random TV drama and was unable to focus on it visually due to the gradual adjustments Yoshidas cinematography influenced upon me (weird).