1. Duarte Ferreira's rating of the film High and Low

Just when I was about to start thinking I had Akira Kurosawa all figured out, I experience this cinematic gem. When people talk about Kurosawa's work, you mostly hear them lauding his chanbara epic Seven Samurai, the intimate and immaculate poem that is Ikiru. But, right hand to my chest, I think High and Low is the most accomplished work I've seen from him until now. A tour de force in tension-and-release.

2. riraru's rating of the film High and Low

Klasse Kriminalfilm als Epos über Kapitalismus, Ungleichheit, Humanität, Rache Polizeiarbeit und Strafe.

3. Dumitru.Nurciu's rating of the film High and Low

Now this is how you do a kidnapping movie. A very detailed execution where nothing is left out. There's the plot, there's image and music that make a great atmosphere! I think one of his best movies alongside Ikiru not set in the samurai era.

4. aliasgenius's rating of the film High and Low

Compelling, clever, brilliant. 5/5

5. ceknklsn's rating of the film High and Low

70/100 (4,4 ne ya yok artık. Filme bir gıcıklığım olmasa da aldığı bu tuhaf puanlar otomatik antipati yaratıyor. 4 yıldızı istemeyerek veriyoruz. Ki ben vermeyeceğim. Film kötü değil ama senaryosunda saçma yerler var. Sırf bu sayacağım 4 husus bile bu filme 5 yıldız vermemek için çok geçerli sebepler. Alta yazıp sıralıyorum.)

6. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film High and Low

7. dreindorf2's rating of the film High and Low

A masterclass in blocking

8. Malt Frisky's rating of the film High and Low

The morality choice at the beginning in the first half is the strongest part but that takes nothing away from the crime thriller in the second half that carefully breaks down the phases to catching the perpetrator. Kurosawa is flawless with his framing and gets the consistent brilliance of the rest of his regular cast as per normal. A small criticism is the ending was unexpectedly more abrupt than I was prepared for.

9. LibertyCapz's rating of the film High and Low

Fascinating and winding crime-drama. Kurosawa really knows his stuff.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film High and Low

The movie's great, but the morality is wrong. The police could have arrested the bad guy for the kidnapping, and his little experiment with the woman junkie wouldn't have happened, and she'd still be alive. So they traded her life so they could kill the bad guy. Not the right message. But she's just a junkie ...

11. MiloBOK's rating of the film High and Low

A masterpiece and probably my favourite Kurosawa movie that I've seen to date. An incredibly intense procedural that should be shown to anyone looking on making a procedural.

12. Zeynep Pekin's rating of the film High and Low

one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Mr. Kurosawa is a genius!

13. gld48's rating of the film High and Low

14. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film High and Low

A Kurosawa kidnapping case, not one of my favorite stories but the scenes and images flow together so well. It's impossible not to see it as another great accomplishment by him.

15. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film High and Low

By far one of the darkest, coolest, intense noir films I've seen, not to mention the sheer beauty in that shot ratio and photography... easy favorite.

16. Jo's rating of the film High and Low

17. dordairobert's rating of the film High and Low

18. Fabien Alloin's rating of the film High and Low

Un des films les plus remarquables de Kurosawa. Le changement de point de vue à la moitié du film est formidablement pensé. Je vais utiliser un gros mot mais tant pis : chef d'œuvre.

19. Tibulle85's rating of the film High and Low

20. Lex Lucas's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa's blocking and composition are awesome. The main dilemma was intense, then the rest was like a good noir with a haunting ending scene.

21. John Baldwin's rating of the film High and Low

All I can add to what others have said is that I'd rather see this film than anything by Hitchcock... and I really like Hitchcock.

22. Viginti_tres's rating of the film High and Low

This is how 3D should be used in film. The way Kurosawa frames every depth of the shot is constantly impressive and engrossing. The story is not as strong a second time around. The format for the crime-procedural may be predicated on this but its not a perfect iteration of the style. The exposition becomes blunt and irrelevant, overwhelming the meatier social themes and character work.

23. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film High and Low

another stupid ending. wasted masterpiece.

24. Ethan's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa proves yet again that he was a master of the craft with this gripping thriller that never lets up from beginning to end and you never really know what direction the film will take next. A true masterpiece of filmmaking.

← Previous 1 3 4 5