1. MiloBOK's rating of the film High and Low

A masterpiece and probably my favourite Kurosawa movie that I've seen to date. An incredibly intense procedural that should be shown to anyone looking on making a procedural.

2. Zeynep Pekin's rating of the film High and Low

one of the best movies I have ever seen. Mr. Kurosawa is a genius!

3. gld48's rating of the film High and Low

4. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film High and Low

By far one of the darkest, coolest, intense noir films I've seen, not to mention the sheer beauty in that shot ratio and photography... easy favorite.

5. Jo's rating of the film High and Low

6. dordairobert's rating of the film High and Low

7. Fabien Alloin's rating of the film High and Low

Un des films les plus remarquables de Kurosawa. Le changement de point de vue à la moitié du film est formidablement pensé. Je vais utiliser un gros mot mais tant pis : chef d'œuvre.

8. Tibulle85's rating of the film High and Low

9. Lex Lucas's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa's blocking and composition are awesome. The main dilemma was intense, then the rest was like a good noir with a haunting ending scene.

10. John Baldwin's rating of the film High and Low

All I can add to what others have said is that I'd rather see this film than anything by Hitchcock... and I really like Hitchcock.

11. Viginti_tres's rating of the film High and Low

This is how 3D should be used in film. The way Kurosawa frames every depth of the shot is constantly impressive and engrossing. The story is not as strong a second time around. The format for the crime-procedural may be predicated on this but its not a perfect iteration of the style. The exposition becomes blunt and irrelevant, overwhelming the meatier social themes and character work.

12. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film High and Low

another stupid ending. wasted masterpiece.

13. Ethan's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa proves yet again that he was a master of the craft with this gripping thriller that never lets up from beginning to end and you never really know what direction the film will take next. A true masterpiece of filmmaking.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film High and Low

Etonnant film noir nippon qui mêle finement thriller poignant et pensée humaniste... www.cinefiches.com

15. Chris's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa can do no wrong, especially when coupled with Mifune

16. belemir's rating of the film High and Low

17. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film High and Low

10 - That "drug alley" and ending sequences could have been edited into a montage of Youtube Poop clips and the thing would still be a stone-cold classic. Holy shit.

18. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film High and Low

8.5/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2L7

19. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film High and Low

Very few directors had their craft so perfected like Kurosawa’s is. This guy really knew what he was doing with a camera, and it shows from the first moments to the last. Mifune is great as always, showing more range than he seems to be given credit for.

20. Umberto L.'s rating of the film High and Low

21. Esra Yılmaz's rating of the film High and Low

22. patchwork's rating of the film High and Low

capolavoro sena mezzi termini, dove tutto è perfetto: regia (raccordi e controcampi magnifici), fotografia (la struttura su più livelli dell'immagine è sempre sorprendente), luci, costruzione, gestione dei tempi. Un poliziesco costruito come un ingranaggio impeccabile e con un nichilismo di fondo che colpisce ancora oggi (grazie anche a un finale brusco e disperato). Standing ovation

23. Aardsy's rating of the film High and Low

Perfect tension and procedure. A masterpiece.

24. James Mackin's rating of the film High and Low

Kurosawa created the modern procedural here.

← Previous 1 3 4 5