1. Miller's Crossing's rating of the film Historic Centre

Five stars for Erice's poignant segment. It is the masterpiece of this film. It holds all the subtlety the other segments are lacking so much. Costa's outré segment is formally impressive but feels underachieved considering it's obvious ambition and political underlying theme. Kaurismaki's and De Oliveira's are not even worth mentioning.

2. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Historic Centre

Like most anthology movies, this has one or two that don't work as well as others. The first tale is great, the second was my least favourite, the third is both interesting and yet also a bit dull (due to the idea being stretched a bit too thin), and the brief final tale is a fun one to end on.

3. Andrew's rating of the film Historic Centre

If there is a central theme uniting these films, it is that of saudade, the bittersweet melancholy of loss. This came through most strongly for me in Erice's deeply humane film, with its compassionate trust in the power of human lives and human stories to create a drama of their own. I agree it does not display the stylistic virtuosity of Costa's piece but I found it deeply moving.

4. Superfrog's rating of the film Historic Centre

Shorts of various quality that did not leave much with me. The tavern is good, the Pedro Costa tiresome, the tourist one just a one liner. And the fourth one I have forgotten about.

5. Daniel's rating of the film Historic Centre

These collection of films starts with a real gem of a dark comedy by Kaurismaki and stumbles into fascinating although ultimately frustrating territory with Pedro Costa’s history-reliant theatrical short. Victor Erice’s documentary short impresses with his collaborative work with non-actors and really moves. Finally, master Oliveira’s micro-short takes the compilation to an abrupt ending but leaves you with a smile

6. samba direito's rating of the film Historic Centre

7. matelot's rating of the film Historic Centre

Kaurismaki/Costa 4/5; Erice/De Oliveira 3/5

8. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Historic Centre

I've seen only Pedro Costa's segment and it's 5+ stars worth. It's a work that screams with anger and deep sorrow about an infernal past, but limiting itself only to evoke with a still, feverish intensity, images of an adult life lived in fear and desperation. It reminds one of an Aeschylus play in its way of conveying emotionally charged visions while staying most of time in the same confined space.

9. naokoken's rating of the film Historic Centre

Starts with an unhappy cafe owner? Then a man in pajamas and a soldier in an elevator that was like Derek Jarman meets Joseph Beuys. "Prime minister, bankruptcy! You're worshipping Satan, boy?" Loved the old factory worker photo and the interviews. "I'll be 77 soon, and I still don't know what happiness is. They talk about it all the time on TV. But to be honest, I'm not sure what it is." And then some tourists.

10. muse_x's rating of the film Historic Centre

Costa for his mysticism & Erice for his empathy.

11. David R Williams's rating of the film Historic Centre

"This Portugal-set quartet of shorts shows off its makers' cinematic personalities, with Aki Kaurismaki the most gloriously wistful, Manoel de Oliveira the funniest, Victor Erice the most socially engaged and Pedro Costa the most pretentious." - Variety.... Kaurismaki’s “Tavern Man” made me smile...a lot.

12. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Historic Centre

Once again Oliveira (last segment) baffles me-- I just don't get it. Nice to have Erice back in circulation, though.

13. Hani's rating of the film Historic Centre

5 for Costa and for the Mubi community who shares the same view. Aki played it safe by making another Aki's film but very shallow that time as he never delved into his subjects as he always does in his other films. Erice's was successful by the workers' stories and the beautiful photo. Oliveira's was very simple, a joke with a punchline. Costa's is pure cinema. Ultimate cinema. Cinema with skin and it breathes.

14. Kevin's rating of the film Historic Centre

The very best part of this film is the folks who worked the factory that closed in 2002 and their stories that are as varied as people, with one recurring theme that is the same for workers in every developed country. If the world refuses to retrain the older generation, then the world is losing dedicated & proud millions who know workers rights, and know how to work. Beautiful and grand! section, really grand.

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Historic Centre

One of these things is not like the other. Aki is Aki and does Aki very well, but it's Aki, not Portugual. Pedro Costa's was jaw dropping amazing. Just watch it.

16. Ben Loory's rating of the film Historic Centre

the pedro costa segment is... incredible. i don't even know what i was looking at. have to watch it again!

17. FAKE_001's rating of the film Historic Centre

18. Brendan's rating of the film Historic Centre

19. RodrigoPereira's rating of the film Historic Centre

20. El Biffo's rating of the film Historic Centre

It makes no sense to give one rating to an omnibus film. 4 stars for the best segment, Pedro Costa's.

21. F.Bieberkopf's rating of the film Historic Centre

Loved the Erice section, the most. Of course the Costa section develops into an epic on its own in 'Horse Money'.

22. José Neves's rating of the film Historic Centre

Pedro Costa's "Sweet Exorcist" it's a complete masterpiece; the other ones are just enjoyable films.

23. Miguel Ferreira's rating of the film Historic Centre

24. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Historic Centre

★★★ History in the center.